About This Chapter
The Importance of Organizational Culture - Chapter Summary
The videos in this chapter take an in-depth look at the value of organizational culture within a company. Watching the videos can help your employees understand the following:
- The meaning of organizational culture
- Four functions of organizational culture
- How subcultures form in organizations
- The difference between strong and weak organizational cultures
- How organizational climate differs from organizational culture
The videos are short, about five minutes each, making them an ideal training tool. You can use the lessons in corporate training sessions or have employees watch them individually on their computers or mobile devices. Quizzes are available to gauge employees' understanding of lesson concepts. The instructors are also available to answer any questions you have about the chapter.
How It Helps
- Strengthens organizational culture: The lessons give employees effective tools to help them strengthen your company's organizational culture.
- Manages subcultures: Subcultures within organizations are inevitable, but the lessons can help to manage these subcultures to ensure they don't weaken your organizational culture.
- Improves workplace communication: This chapter sheds light on the characteristics of a quality organizational culture. Taking the steps to improve your organizational culture requires employees to actively and effectively communicate.
After completing this chapter, employees will be able to:
- Outline the seven values that define the culture of an organization
- Explain the impact the four functions of organizational culture have on members of an organization
- Describe how the values created by subcultures often differ from those of the dominant culture
- Identify ways that strong and weak organizational cultures affect members of an organization
- Detail how the culture of an organization governs its organizational climate
1. What is Organizational Culture? - Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, you will learn what organizational culture is and how it dictates behavior in organizations. You'll also explore the seven values that define the culture of an organization.
2. Functions of Organizational Culture
In this lesson, you will learn about the four functions of organizational culture and the impact these functions have on the members of an organization.
3. Organizational Subculture: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how subcultures form in organizations and how the values established by subcultures differ from the core values of the dominant culture of the organization.
4. Strong vs. Weak Organizational Cultures: Examples & Differences
In this lesson, you will learn the difference between a strong organizational culture and a weak organizational culture. You will also learn how these different types of culture affect the members of an organization.
5. Practical Application: Comparing Strong vs. Weak Organizational Cultures
Culture in a business can be a very important quality. Here you will be provided with an opportunity to assess a business culture, identifying strong and weak characteristics.
6. Organizational Climate: Definition, Factors & Impacts on Culture
In this lesson you will learn the definition of organizational climate, how it differs from organizational culture, and how the culture of an organization governs the organizational climate.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Creating Organizational Culture course