About This Chapter
The Influence of Culture on Communication - Chapter Summary
This chapter discusses the ways that interpersonal, family and intercultural communication can be influenced by cultural factors. Our expert instructors use a simplified and engaging teaching style to show you the foundations of Kaplan's thought patterns, as well as communication topics related to culture, gender and technology. When you're finished with a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to make sure you fully understand the material. The chapter is accessible on any Internet-connected device, and our instructors are happy to answer any questions you may have about the material. When you're finished, you should be able to:
- Explain how interpersonal communication is shaped by culture
- Assess the cultural, gender and technological influences on family communication
- Describe Kaplan's thought patterns and their impact on intercultural communication
1. Culture's Impact on Interpersonal Communication
In this lesson, explore different cultural styles of communication and discover what it means to study communication through culture. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Influences on Family Communication: Culture, Gender & Technology
We communicate with all sorts of people, so what makes families any different? In this lesson, we are going to look a bit closer at communication within the family and discover what sort of influences play into how, when, and why we even try.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 301: Diversity and Intercultural Communication course
- Communication as a Process
- Understanding Culture
- Cultural Differences in Nonverbal Communication
- The Impact of Cultural Conflict on Communications
- Ethnocentricity, Prejudice & Stereotypes
- Sexism, Gender Roles & Communication
- Intercultural Communication in the Workplace
- Culture & Communication at School
- Culture & Communication in Healthcare
- Developing Competence in Intercultural Communication