About This Chapter
The Inner Solar System - Chapter Summary
Quickly review the inner planets of the solar system with this self-paced study guide chapter. These short and entertaining video lessons highlight information about these planets' surfaces, atmospheres and characteristics. Following each lesson is a short quiz to help you remember important astronomy terms and concepts. Print the lesson transcripts to supplement your studying experience, and feel free to submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify and compare the solar system's inner planets
- Describe the surfaces of Mars, Venus and Mercury
- Compare the atmospheres of Mercury, Venus and Mars
1. Inner Planets of the Solar System: Mercury, Venus, Earth & Mars
Take a tour of the four inner planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars. Known as the terrestrial planets, find out what makes each of them unique and how they are different from the outer planets, the gas giants.
2. The Surface & Atmosphere on Mars
One little mistranslation spawned generations worth of theories about life on Mars. But is there any real evidence for the possibility of life on Mars? What is the Martian atmosphere and surface really like? Can it support life? Find out in this lesson.
3. The Surface & Atmosphere on Venus
This lesson will discuss the terrible atmosphere located on Venus, as well as its surface features and how the planet differs from Earth's geologic processes.
4. The Surface & Atmosphere on Mercury
This lesson will describe the planet Mercury's surface components and how they came to be as the planet formed. It will also go into the planet's interior and atmosphere.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Astronomy 101: Intro to Astronomy course
- The Historical Background of Astronomy
- The Basics of Astronomy
- The Physics of Astronomy
- Understanding Orbits in Astronomy
- The Earth-Moon System
- The Solar System
- Gaseous Planets in the Solar System
- Comets, Moons & Asteroids
- Understanding the Science of the Sun
- Types of Stars in the Universe
- Formation & Evolution of Stars
- Stellar Death & Remnants
- Formation & Structure of the Milky Way
- Properties & Characteristics of Galaxies
- Cosmology Overview
- Relativity in Space & Time
- Overview of Life in the Universe
- Tools & Instruments for Astronomy
- Studying for Astronomy 101