About This Chapter
The Interaction of Business, Government & Society - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive and mobile-friendly business chapter explains how business, the government and society interact. Our expert instructors show you how the government promotes economic interests and protects the public, and you can also take a look at the importance of interest groups. Each lesson comes with a short quiz, and the chapter includes a comprehensive multiple-choice exam. You'll be able to submit questions to our instructors if you need clarification on any lesson topic. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Describe the interaction between government, society and business
- Differentiate between capitalism, democracy and pluralism
- Explain how economic interests are promoted by the government
- Identify government agencies that protect the public against stock market abuses and illegal business practices
- Summarize the history of interest groups in the United States
- Understand how interest groups influence American politics
1. Business, Government & Society: Interactions and Influences
Business, government, and society interact and influence each others' specific objectives and goals. In this lesson, you will learn the three different models that can impact how they influence each other.
2. Capitalism, Pluralism & Democracy: Definitions & Differences
Businesses live in a multi-framework environment consisting of capitalism, pluralism and democracy. In this lesson, you will learn about each framework and how their differences present a unique challenge for a company's survival.
3. How the Government Promotes Economic Interests
The following lesson will cover how the government promotes its economic interests through businesses, labor, and agriculture. There will be a short quiz following the lesson to check your understanding.
4. Government Agencies that Protect the Public From Illegal Business Practices
The public has to be protected from illegal business practices. In this lesson, you'll learn about the four government agencies that monitor, protect, and prevent corporate America from taking advantage of consumers.
5. Government Protections Against Stock Market Abuses
Companies are monitored and policed by the Security and Exchange Commission in order to protect stockholders against market abuses. In this lesson, you will learn how the SEC prevents insider trading and fraudulent accounting.
6. What Are Interest Groups in the United States? - History & Types
The following lesson will discuss the history and types of interest groups that exist in the American political system. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check for your understanding.
7. Strategies & Influence of Interest Groups on American Politics
The following lesson will describe the strategies used by interest groups to influence American politics. A short quiz will follow the lesson to check for your understanding.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Business Ethics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Business, Government & Society Overview
- Understanding Business Ethics
- Understanding Management & Stakeholders in Business
- Public Affairs & Crisis Management for Business
- Employer-Employee Relationships
- Promoting Diversity in the Workforce
- Stockholders & Corporate Governance
- Corporate Social Responsibility & the Community
- Consumer Rights & Protections
- The Importance of Ethics in Advertising
- Business & Special Interest Groups
- The US Government & Legislation
- Regulations & Public Policy for Business
- The Judicial Branch of the US Government
- Business & Antitrust Laws
- Global Business Environment Overview
- Understanding International Trade & Business Law
- Understanding Technology in Business
- Understanding Environmental Issues in Business
- UExcel Business Ethics Flashcards