About This Chapter
The Jefferson Presidency in America - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we've provided you with the resources you need to effectively teach the U.S. presidency of Thomas Jefferson to your students. Concise video lessons outline the Louisiana Purchase, the Napoleonic Wars and other events that occurred during his presidency. Our videos are generally less than 10 minutes and easy to navigate using the video tabs feature, making it easy to jump to the information that you want your students to review. If you'd like to discuss any of these topics with one of our expert instructors, you're welcome to submit your questions through the Dashboard.
How It Helps
- Simplifies assessments: The quizzes included with the lessons and the test at the end of the chapter can be used with your students to assess their understanding of the Jefferson presidency.
- Encourages confidence: Take stress out of planning lessons on the presidency of Thomas Jefferson while knowing you're providing interesting learning materials to your students with this chapter.
- Provides background: The history, facts, significance and details of some of the most important events of the Jefferson presidency are included in our videos, giving your students a thorough understanding of this important period of U.S. history.
Your students should be able to complete the following when you use this chapter:
- Outline the important events of Thomas Jefferson's presidency
- Summarize the Louisiana Purchase of 1803 and its importance
- Discuss the Barbary Pirates and the Embargo of 1807
- Explain the War of 1812 and President Madison's role in it
- Detail the presidency of James Madison
1. Thomas Jefferson's Presidency: Louisiana Purchase, Lewis & Clark, and More
Thomas Jefferson is often noted as one of the best presidents in history. In our lesson, learn about some of President Jefferson's many famous domestic accomplishments and the controversy surrounding most of them.
2. The Louisiana Purchase of 1803: Summary, Facts & Importance
This lesson discusses the Louisiana Purchase. Learn more about the most important real estate deal in American history and how it influenced the growth of the United States. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
3. Barbary Pirates, Napoleonic Wars and Embargo of 1807
Throughout President Jefferson's two terms in office, his foreign policy revolved around war in Europe. Despite his attempts to remain neutral, American ships were drawn into conflict that demanded the president's response.
4. President Madison and the War of 1812
Though often overlooked in the annals of American history, the War of 1812 was really a landmark event for a young nation finding its footing amidst a global power struggle. Watch our lesson to follow President James Madison and the War of 1812 into the inky shadows of history.
5. James Madison: Federalist & President
'If men were angels, no government would be necessary.' James Madison said these words in defense of the government he helped create. Read this lesson to learn about Madison's role as one of the 'Founding Fathers' of the United States.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Social Studies Teacher Resources course
- Early Hominin Evolution
- Ancient Sumerian Cities & Culture
- Ancient Mesopotamian Empires
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Structures
- Life in Ancient India
- Life in Ancient China
- Ancient Greece Culture & Politics
- Ancient Roman Empire
- World Religions & Beliefs
- European Life in the Middle Ages
- The Empires of Rome
- Religion & Culture of Islam
- The Christian Crusades
- Early West African Culture & Development
- Imperial China Overview
- Life in Medieval Japan
- The Maya, Aztec & Inca Peoples
- European Renaissance Overview
- The European Protestant Reformation
- Exploration of the New World
- Origins of Modern Science
- The Enlightenment Era
- European Exploration of the Americas
- The First Colonies in America
- The American Revolution Causes & Consequences
- Early American Government Origins & Documents
- Origins of the American Republic
- The Jackson Presidency in America
- American Expansion of the 1800s
- American Reform Movements in the 1800s
- Origins of the American Civil War
- Overview of the United States Civil War
- The Civil War Reconstruction Era
- The Second Industrial Revolution in the USA
- American Imperialism & The Progressive Era
- The United States & WWI
- American Life in the 1920s
- The Great Depression, New Deal & The USA
- The United States & WWII
- America During the Cold War
- USA Presidents & Movements of the 1960s & 1970s
- Contemporary American Movements & Presidents