About This Chapter
The Khrushchev Years of the Cold War - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you can study information pertaining to the leadership of Nikita Khrushchev during the Cold War. As you progress through these informative and fun lessons, you'll examine Khrushchev's policies, as well as the process of de-Stalinization and the Sino-Soviet split. The chapter is entirely self paced, and each lesson comes with a short quiz to help you retain the information you study. If you have any questions about the Cold War's Khrushchev years, feel free to reach out to our expert history instructors at any time. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Describe the succession struggle in Russia following Stalin's death
- Evaluate the achievements and policies of Nikita Khrushchev
- Define the de-Stalinization process and assess its impact
- Recognize the causes and effects of the Sino-Soviet split
1. Death of Stalin: Succession Struggle in Russia
Stalin's death was the first chance the USSR had to really prove they could survive a transition of power. In this lesson, we'll check out this moment and see who came out on top.
2. Nikita Khrushchev: Life, Achievements & Policies
In this lesson, we explore the life and career of Soviet premier Nikita Khrushchev. The country's leader after the death of Joseph Stalin, Khrushchev implemented several domestic reforms while also standing toe-to-toe with the West.
3. De-Stalinization: Definition, Process & Impact
In this lesson we will learn about de-Stalinization, including its supporters and its opponents, its successes and its failures, and its international significance.
4. The Sino-Soviet Split: History, Causes & Effects
In this lesson we will outline and explain the Sino-Soviet Split, including the events that led to it, as well as the effects afterward. In particular, Soviet support for nuclear disarmament played an especially important role in the split.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST History of the Soviet Union: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Russian History in 16-18th Century
- Nineteenth Century Russia
- The Russian Revolutionary Period
- Pre-War Stalinism
- The Soviet Union & The Second World War
- Post-War Stalinism & The Cold War
- The Brezhnev Years of the Cold War
- Proxy Wars During the Cold War
- Reform & Collapse in the USSR
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST History of the Soviet Union Flashcards