About This Chapter
Who's It For:
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the laws of thermodynamics material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn the laws of thermodynamics. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the laws of thermodynamics
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about the laws of thermodynamics
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Laws of Thermodynamics in Physical Chemistry chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Laws of Thermodynamics in Physical Chemistry chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about the laws of thermodynamics. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a thermodynamics unit of a standard physical chemistry course. Topics covered include:
- An introduction to the laws of thermodynamics
- Law of Conservation of Energy
- Entropy and systems
- Third law and absolute entropy
- The Zeroth Law
1. The Laws of Thermodynamics
Learn about the first and second laws of thermodynamics. Find out how energy is generated, how it converts from one form to another, and what happens to energy in a closed system.
2. First Law of Thermodynamics: Law of Conservation of Energy
This video describes the first law of thermodynamics. Several examples of the application of this law are discussed. The significance of the law and its practical application are discussed as well.
3. Second Law of Thermodynamics: Entropy and Systems
In this lesson, we'll learn about the second law of thermodynamics. By studying this law, you'll understand how energy works and why we're all moving towards eventual chaos and disorder.
4. The Third Law of Thermodynamics & Its Application to Absolute Entropy
After completing this lesson, you will be able to explain what the third law of thermodynamics is, and how that relates to the concept of absolute entropy. A short quiz will follow.
5. The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics
After watching this video, you will be able to state the zeroth law of thermodynamics, what it means, and why it is important. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.