About This Chapter
The Maya, Aztec & Inca Peoples - Chapter Summary
Enhance your class instruction of the Maya, Aztec and Inca peoples by taking advantage of this chapter's helpful teacher resources. Entertaining lessons provide in-depth analyses of the Mayan, Aztec and Incan civilizations, artistic and oral traditions, culture, geographic impacts and much more. Feel free to share these lessons with your students or use them to prepare your own comprehensive lessons.
This chapter offers access to additional resources like self-assessment quizzes and subject-matter experts who can answer questions about information presented in the lessons. All resources are available 24/7 via any computer or mobile device, making it easy to prepare for class during the timeframes you choose.
How It Helps
- Offers convenience: This chapter significantly reduces the time you spend researching information about the Maya, Aztec and Inca peoples for your lessons by providing resources in one convenient location.
- Supplements lesson materials: The lessons in this chapter can be used as additional learning materials during your classroom instruction, giving your students multiple ways to learn.
- Checks students' comprehension: In addition to sharing the fun lessons in this chapter with your students, feel free to use accompanying multiple-choice quizzes to assess your students' comprehension of those lessons.
Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Discuss the rise and disappearance of the Maya civilization
- Develop lessons covering daily life and artistic/oral traditions of the Maya
- Help students understand the civilization, culture and artistic and oral traditions of the Aztecs
- Incorporate information on the Inca civilization and Pizarro into your lessons
- Educate students on life in the Incan Empire and the artistic and oral traditions of the Inca
- Create fun lessons covering the impact geography had on the Maya, Aztec and Inca civilizations
- Teach your students about Mesoamerican achievements in architecture and astronomy
1. The Rise of the Maya Civilization
In this lesson, you will explore the origins of the great Maya civilization that developed in Central America. Then, you will be able to test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Life in the Maya Civilization
In this lesson, you will experience a day in the life of a person in the Maya civilization of Central America, and then test your understanding about this complex culture.
3. Artistic & Oral Traditions of the Maya
In this lesson, you will explore the art and language of the Maya, one of the highly sophisticated cultures of the ancient Americas. Then, you will be able to test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Mayan Disappearance: Theories & Concept
For many years, archaeologists have studied the collapse of the Maya civilization. Learn the different theories archaeologists believe were responsible for the downfall of the Maya.
5. The Aztecs: Civilization & Culture
A mythical origin, an intricate political and social system, impressive accomplishments, bloodthirsty gods, and a violent clash of two cultures - watch this video to learn more about the interesting history of the Aztecs!
6. Artistic & Oral Traditions of the Aztec
In this lesson, you will explore how art and language were deeply connected in the Aztec Empire, a powerful culture that controlled Central America. Then, you will be able to test your understanding about the Aztec Empire, their language, and their art with a brief quiz.
7. The Rise of the Incan Empire
In this lesson, you will explore the rise of one of the greatest civilizations of the Americas: the Inca. Then, you will be able to test your understanding about Incan history with a brief quiz.
8. The Inca Civilization and Pizarro: Pre-Columbian South America
The Incan Empire was an amazing empire of the early Americas. Their accomplishments rival those of many other great empires, but they were defeated by the Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro in only a few years.
9. Life in the Incan Empire
In this lesson, you will be able to experience a day in the life of a subject of the Incan Empire, an advanced civilization of South America. Then, you will test your understanding with a brief quiz.
10. Artistic & Oral Traditions of the Inca
In this lesson, you will explore the language and art of the great Inca civilization of South America. Then, you be able to test your understanding with a brief quiz.
11. Effect of Geography on the Maya, Aztec & Inca Civilizations
In this lesson, you will explore the jungles of the Yucatan, the high valleys of Mexico, and the peaks of Peru as we examine how geography shaped the civilizations of the Maya, Aztecs, and Inca. Then, you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
12. Mesoamerican Achievements in Astronomy & Architecture
In this lesson, you will explore the math and science of the Aztecs, Maya, and Inca: three of the greatest civilizations of the ancient Americas. Then, you will be able to test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Social Studies Teacher Resources course
- Early Hominin Evolution
- Ancient Sumerian Cities & Culture
- Ancient Mesopotamian Empires
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Structures
- Life in Ancient India
- Life in Ancient China
- Ancient Greece Culture & Politics
- Ancient Roman Empire
- World Religions & Beliefs
- European Life in the Middle Ages
- The Empires of Rome
- Religion & Culture of Islam
- The Christian Crusades
- Early West African Culture & Development
- Imperial China Overview
- Life in Medieval Japan
- European Renaissance Overview
- The European Protestant Reformation
- Exploration of the New World
- Origins of Modern Science
- The Enlightenment Era
- European Exploration of the Americas
- The First Colonies in America
- The American Revolution Causes & Consequences
- Early American Government Origins & Documents
- Origins of the American Republic
- The Jefferson Presidency in America
- The Jackson Presidency in America
- American Expansion of the 1800s
- American Reform Movements in the 1800s
- Origins of the American Civil War
- Overview of the United States Civil War
- The Civil War Reconstruction Era
- The Second Industrial Revolution in the USA
- American Imperialism & The Progressive Era
- The United States & WWI
- American Life in the 1920s
- The Great Depression, New Deal & The USA
- The United States & WWII
- America During the Cold War
- USA Presidents & Movements of the 1960s & 1970s
- Contemporary American Movements & Presidents