About This Chapter
The Mayan Empire - Chapter Summary
Explore this chapter's lessons to learn or review information about the Mayan civilization. Taught by expert instructors, this chapter offers insight into Mayan religion, codices and other important aspects of the culture. These short and simple history lessons come with interactive self-assessment quizzes that reinforce important terms and concepts. The chapter is available at any time that fits your schedule, and you can study on any device that has an Internet connection. If you need any extra help with the material, don't hesitate to reach out to our instructors online. They're happy to help! By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Summarize the mythology of Chaac, the Mayan god of rain and lightning
- Describe several Mayan codices, including the Paris Codex, the Dresden Codex and the Madrid Codex
- Explain additional concepts related to the Mayan Empire
1. Chaac, Mayan God of Rain & Lightning: Mythology & Facts
Want to know more about the Mayan mythological pantheon? This lesson introduces Chaac, the god of rain and thunder, but also the bringer of maize. Within this lesson, you'll find legends, images, and where he dwells.
2. Maya Codices: Paris Codex, Madrid Codex, Dresden Codex & Grolier Codex
How do we know as much as we do about the ancient Maya people? This lesson looks at the last four remaining codices; manuscripts written by the Maya people, and how they were discovered.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the History, Culture & People of the Americas course
- The Pre-Columbian Era
- The Aztec Empire
- The Moche Civilization
- The Toltec Empire
- European Arrival & Colonization of the Americas
- Indigenous Peoples of South America
- Indigenous Peoples of the Carribean
- Indigenous Peoples, Culture & History of Mexico
- Independence Movements & Organizations of Indigenous Peoples
- The Iroquois Confederacy