About This Chapter
The Middle Ages in England - Chapter Summary
England experienced periods of growth and devastation during the Middle Ages. These lessons will cover the kings, wars and major events of this time period. You will learn about the rise of urban centers in England, and the effect this had on history. Major conflicts with Scotland, France and Wales will be explored, as will the damage done to England during the Little Ice Age. After you review this material, you will be able to:
- Explain the relationship between England and France during this time period
- Describe the conflicts between the Church and the government of England
- Discuss the move towards urban centers
- Identify major monarchs of this time and their accomplishments
- Explore the effects of the Little Ice Age and bubonic plague in England
- Identify the major players and events of the War of the Roses
These lessons quickly and effectively cover the key points of a topic using video- and text-based activities. They all include an interactive quiz, allowing you to make sure you understood the material. If you need to go back and review a confusing point, the video tags in your Timeline let you find any point with ease.
1. Henry II of England and Philip Augustus of France
This lesson will explore the reigns of the Angevin Plantagenet kings of England, Henry II, Richard I, and John. It will also highlight their dealings with Philip Augustus of France.
2. Thomas Becket and the Constitutions of Clarendon
This lesson will explain the power struggle between Church and State in medieval England. It will focus on King Henry II, Thomas Becket, and the Constitutions of Clarendon.
3. King John of England: Biography & Facts
King John is a controversial figure in English history, but someone who oversaw great change. In this lesson, we'll explore John's reign and legacy, and see how it impacted medieval England.
4. The Reemergence of Towns and Commerce
This lesson explores the urban revolution of the 12th century. We will examine the causes, especially the resurgence of trade, and then look at the various factors that made the revolution possible. Finally, we will discuss the impact of this revolution on Medieval Europe.
5. King Edward I of England: Biography & Conquests
Edward I is often seen as one of the most successful of England's medieval kings. In this lesson, we'll explore the life of this monarch and see what role he played in England's long history.
6. King Edward II of England: Reign & Timeline
Not every monarch in English history is remembered fondly. In this lesson, we're going to explore the life and legacy of a less popular king, Edward II, and see how his experience impacted medieval England.
7. The Little Ice Age and the Black Death
Fourteenth century Europe experienced a devastating population decline due to a climate cooling, famine, and the plague. This lesson explores how these factors occurred and their impact on Europe.
8. King Edward III of England: Facts & Family Tree
Edward III was king of England during the fourteenth century. This lesson describes the basic facts of his reign, specifically his family tree and connections to the French monarchy and the War of the Roses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ History: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Norman England
- Society & Culture in The Middle Ages
- Hundred Years War & War of the Roses
- The Tudor Period in England
- Civil War & Revolution in England
- The Georgian Period in England
- British Empire & Imperialism
- British Industrialization & Reform
- Historical Inquiry & Essay Construction
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ History Flashcards