About This Chapter
The Moche Civilization - Chapter Summary
If you need to learn or review information about the Moche civilization, look no further than this fun and informative history chapter. Our expert history instructors will show you everything you need to know about the civilization's history, achievements, culture, economy, religion and much more. To help you reinforce your understanding of these concepts, we've included lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. Feel free to submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help with the material. You can revisit these resources as many times as needed, and when you're finished with the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Explain the history and achievements of the Moche civilization
- Describe the Moche civilization's economy, government and social classes
- Assess the Moche people's culture, writing and religion
- Evaluate the civilization's food, agriculture and trade
- Recognize the characteristics of Moche art and architecture
1. Moche Civilization: Location, History & Achievements
Much of what we know of South American native tribes include information on the Incas; however, there is more to learn about the early natives of the continent. In this lesson we will cover the Moche Civilization, and their history and achievements.
2. Moche Civilization: Government, Economy & Social Classes
The Moche Civilization was one of the most important native tribes of all South America. Learn more about this highly advanced culture, their government, social structure, and economy.
3. Moche Religion, Culture & Writing
The Moche Civilization was based in modern Peru. Although they left no written language, their culture was preserved in their art. A polytheistic culture that practiced human sacrifice, the Moche valued the priests and the warriors above all other people.
4. Moche Civilization: Trade, Agriculture & Food
In this lesson, we explore the Moche civilization of ancient Peru. Specifically, we delve into the culture's agriculture, food, and the goods they traded.
5. Art & Architecture of the Moche People
Have you ever seen a ceramic jug that's also a portrait? Some ancient cultures excelled in very sophisticated forms of art. In this lesson, explore the art and architecture of the Moche people.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the History, Culture & People of the Americas course
- The Pre-Columbian Era
- The Aztec Empire
- The Mayan Empire
- The Toltec Empire
- European Arrival & Colonization of the Americas
- Indigenous Peoples of South America
- Indigenous Peoples of the Carribean
- Indigenous Peoples, Culture & History of Mexico
- Independence Movements & Organizations of Indigenous Peoples
- The Iroquois Confederacy