About This Chapter
The Moon - Chapter Summary
Begin your review of the moon with a lesson on the theories used to explain its formation. You'll also re-examine the moon's inner layers, the features of its terrain and the characteristics of rocks scattered across its surface.
Follow up your study of lunar geology with lessons on the composition of the moon's atmosphere and the factors affecting our perception of the moon's phases. You'll also get some tips for predicting when moonrise and moonset occur and review the differences between the sidereal and synodic months. A lesson on the types of lunar eclipses rounds out this chapter. Topics of discussion include:
- Theories on the formation of the moon
- Lunar geology
- The moon's atmosphere
- Phases of the moon
- Lunar eclipses
Study these astronomy topics when it's convenient for you with lessons you can access from your mobile device. The videos last less than ten minutes each, and the transcripts allow you to view important vocabulary terms and concepts at a glance. Each lesson also includes a multiple-choice quiz you can use to confirm your understanding of these topics.
1. Formation of the Moon: Theories
Explore the four major theories on the formation of the Moon. The theories include the fission theory, capture theory, condensation theory and giant impact theory. Also look at both information supporting and flaws found in these theories.
2. Lunar Geology: Types of Moon Rocks
This lesson will discuss the layers of the Moon's interior, the dark and light colored areas of the Moon's surface, the Moon's craters, and how moon dust has formed over the ages.
3. The Moon's Atmosphere
This lesson will go over the lunar atmosphere, its composition, where it gets it atmosphere from, how it may lose its atmosphere, and what the technical term for the lunar atmosphere is.
4. How Earth & the Sun Affect the Phases of the Moon
This lesson will describe how the moon, Earth, and sun combine to form the phases of the moon. We'll also discuss the important concept of synchronous rotation.
5. Moon Phases: Names & Sequence
This lesson will go over the phases of the moon. The full moon, new moon, waxing, waning, and gibbous phases and the order in which they occur and what they look like are discussed.
6. Motion of the Moon: Sidereal Month vs. Synodic Month
This lesson will teach you about the sidereal month and synodic month, how long they are, and how they are measured with respect to the stars and sun.
7. Predicting When The Moon Will Rise and Set
In this lesson, you'll learn when the moon will rise or set during four distinct phases: full moon, new moon, first quarter moon, and third quarter moon.
8. Lunar Eclipse: Definition & Types
This lesson will teach you about the lunar eclipse. You'll learn the difference between a penumbral, partial, and total lunar eclipse, and see what totality means with respect to a total lunar eclipse.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Earth Science (008): Practice and Study Guide course
- Foundations of Scientific Inquiry
- Laboratory Equipment and Procedures
- Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- The Earth and Sky
- The Sun's Structure, Energy and Cycle
- The Orbits of Celestial Bodies
- Newton's Laws of Motion and Gravitation
- Star Types & Significance
- Measuring the Characteristics of Stars
- Layout, Formation and Dating of the Solar System
- Characteristics of Our Solar System's Planets
- The Milky Way Galaxy
- Key Theories of the Universe
- The Atmospheric Cycle
- Solar Radiation and Energy
- Atmospheric Moisture and Effects on Precipitation
- Air Distribution & Movement
- Weather Forecasting & Analysis
- Weather Conditions and Disturbances
- Causes and Effects of Climate Change
- Minerals & Rocks
- Earth's Tectonic Plates
- Weathering & Erosion
- Geologic Time & Dating
- Water Cycle & Balance
- Flowing Water
- Ground Water Systems
- Oceans & Shorelines
- Basics of Coastal Hazards
- NYSTCE Earth Science Flashcards