About This Chapter
The Number System - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive overview of the number system is designed to help you discover or refresh your knowledge of numbers basics in math. Review the lessons to ensure you have a quality understanding of decimals, estimation, ways to find place values and much more. Once you've completed this chapter, you will have the knowledge to:
- Define and share the history of Arabic numerals
- Describe the decimal place value
- Find place values in whole numbers
- Explain the meaning of scientific notation
- Discuss the concept of estimation in math
- Solve math problems by estimating with decimals
- Identify and describe different types of numbers
Watch fun videos and read engaging texts to learn all you need to know about the number system. Each lesson covers a different topic to make sure you're able to absorb pertinent details at a comfortable pace. Access lessons from any computer, smartphone or tablet whenever your schedule permits. When ready, assess your knowledge of the number system by taking short lesson quizzes and a practice chapter exam.
1. Arabic Numerals: Definition, History & Example
In this lesson you will find a brief history of how the Arabic numeral system came to its present form. The system is defined and distinguished from all other numeral systems by its specific qualities.
2. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
3. Finding Place Values in Whole Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to find the location of any place value that you are given. You will also be able to identify them in any whole number.
4. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
5. How to Estimate in Math: Definition & Concept
Learn how to use estimate values in this lesson. It can help you answer math problems that use more complicated numbers and even make it easier to split a check at the restaurant next time you are out with friends!
6. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
7. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL General Curriculum (03): Practice & Study Guide course
- History of the English Language
- Basic Grammar & Mechanics
- Teaching Literature & Literary Analysis
- Literary Genres
- Literary Elements & Concepts
- Children's Literature Genres & Characteristics
- The Writing Process
- Writing Styles & Techniques
- Paleolithic Era to the Agricultural Revolution
- Early Civilizations & the Rise of Western Imperialism
- Modern World History Overview
- The Start of the United States
- American History 1800 to 1900
- American History 1900 to 1950
- American History 1950 to Present Day
- US & Massachusetts Government
- Fundamentals of Economics & Capitalism
- Geography & Human Settlements
- Principles of Life Sciences
- Principles of Physical Science
- Earth & Space Science
- Foundations of Scientific Thought
- Scientific Inquiry & Experimentation
- Fractions, Decimals & Percents Overview
- Factoring & Divisibility Rules
- Number Operations
- Basic Algebraic Concepts & Practice
- Introduction to Functions & Graphs
- Understanding & Solving Linear Functions
- Concepts of Measurement
- Geometric Shapes & Principles
- Understanding Descriptive Statistics
- Understanding Probability
- MTEL General Curriculum Flashcards