About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering The Odyssey characters material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the setting and characters from this poem. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the characters from The Odyssey
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual and auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review by taking The Odyssey: Characters chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Odyssey: Characters chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about characters found in The Odyssey for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Overviews of key characters in the poem, including Helios, Calypso, Nausicaa, Laertes, Tiresias and Penelope, among others
- Analysis of Odysseus as a character and possible hero
- Review of the Greek Gods depicted in the story
- Mythological characters used in the plotline and their relationship with Odysseus
1. Who was Odysseus? - Story, Adventures & Travels
Odysseus is most famous for his wandering adventures after the events of the Trojan War. This lesson explores his role in defeating the Trojans and his 10-year voyage home. The tale includes battling Cyclops, sea monsters and visiting the land of the dead.
2. Is Odysseus a Hero? - Character Analysis
A hero can be defined in many ways, but in Greek antiquity, a hero embodied qualities that reflected Greek culture. In this lesson, we will define the term hero and determine whether Odysseus fits the description.
3. Who was Telemachus? - Stories, Character Traits & Analysis
In this lesson we explore the character Telemachus, whose father, Odysseus, is the main character in Homer's 'The Odyssey.' Separated from his father since infancy, he journeys into southern Greece to find him.
4. Penelope in the Odyssey: Quotes & Weaving
Penelope is one of the most important characters in 'The Odyssey'. Homer idealizes her as the perfect wife and one who sets the standard for loyalty. Learn how Penelope used her intelligence to remain loyal to Odysseus while he was away for two decades.
5. Athena in The Odyssey
The character of Athena in Homer's iconic poem, 'The Odyssey', is far more than some remote goddess making playthings of frail mortals. She is a guide who helps Odysseus learn what a man, husband, father, and king should be.
6. The Cyclops in The Odyssey & Greek Mythology
The Cyclops in Homer's classic poem, ''The Odyssey'' plays a vital role in launching the famous tale of the ancient king, Odysseus, struggling to return home. However, the Cyclops also figures powerfully in Greek mythology as a whole.
7. Poseidon in The Odyssey
Poseidon, the god of the sea, plays a vital role in Homer's ancient epic ''The Odyssey.'' Poseidon's conflict with the poem's hero, Odysseus, drives the action, and in the process, it teaches Odysseus, and the rest of us, what it means to be human.
8. The Greek God Aeolus: Mythology, Overview
In this lesson, we will explore the Greek god Aeolus. Keeper of the wind and resident of the island Aeolia, the god's largest role in Greek literature or myth is in attempting to aid Odysseus home in Homer's Odyssey.
9. Circe of The Odyssey: Mythology, Overview
In this lesson we explore one of the minor goddesses of ancient Greek mythology, Circe. The goddess of magic and transformation, Circe plays her most pivotal role in Greek literature in Homer's 'Odyssey'.
10. Tiresias of The Odyssey: Mythology, Overview
In this lesson we'll learn who Tiresias was in Greek mythology. Together, we'll take a closer look at his myths and his legacy. We'll also examine Tiresias' role in 'The Odyssey.'
11. Odysseus & the Sirens
Sometimes, a tempting offer is too good to refuse, even if it means risking one's life. In this lesson, we'll learn about the mythology of the Sirens and analyze Odysseus' enchanting adventure.
12. Who Is Helios in The Odyssey?
This lesson will introduce you the character of Helios from Homer's ''Odyssey.'' You may be surprised at just what sort of character the Greeks made out of their original sun god.
13. Calypso in The Odyssey: Summary, Overview
In this lesson we explore the ancient Greek nymph, Calypso, and her role in Homer's ''Odyssey.'' Though just a nymph, Calypso challenges the Olympian gods and tries to hold Odysseus captive.
14. Who is Nausicaa in The Odyssey?
Odysseus, hero of Homer's ''The Odyssey'' must make it past several obstacles before he gets back home after the Trojan War. Along the way, he manages to find some allies every now and then. One of those is Nausicaa. In this lesson, discover who this woman is and the role she plays in ''The Odyssey'', then test yourself with a quiz.
15. Who Are the Suitors in The Odyssey?
Homer's classic work 'The Odyssey' centers on Odysseus and his journey home from the Trojan War, but it also follows his wife Penelope and son Telemachus as they deal with their own complications on the home front. In this lesson, learn about Penelope's suitors and the havoc they wreak, and test yourself with a quiz.
16. Who Is Eumaeus in The Odyssey?
'The Odyssey' is a Greek epic that is still read to this day for its exciting plot and memorable characters. In this lesson, learn about one of those characters, Eumaeus, and test yourself with a quiz.
17. Who Is Eurycleia in The Odyssey?
'The Odyssey' is a Greek epic still read and cherished today for its crazy plot and fascinating characters. One of these characters is Eurycleia. Learn more about Eurycleia, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
18. Who Is Laertes in The Odyssey?
Homer's famous epic ''The Odyssey'' has given us many memorable characters since it was composed, including Laertes. In this lesson, discover who Laertes is and understand his role in ''The Odyssey''. Test your knowledge with a quiz.
Odyssey Character List & Flashcards
This epic flashcard set features the epic characters in Homer's epic 'The Odyssey.' Why so epic? An epic is actually the oldest form of literature in western civilization, and it features some of the most larger-than-life characters in its stories.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.