About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning about the characters from The Old Man and the Sea will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the characters Santiago and Manolin. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the main characters from The Old Man and the Sea
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Old Man and the Sea Characters chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Old Man and the Sea Characters chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the characters in The Old Man and the Sea for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Santiago's and Manolin's character traits
- The protagonist as a tragic hero and Christ figure
- Evidence of Santiago's courage
- The relationship between Santiago and Manolin
1. Santiago in The Old Man and the Sea: Character Analysis, Traits & Description
Santiago, the main character of 'The Old Man and the Sea,' is a formidable protagonist despite his age. In this lesson, we'll explore how his determination in each aspect of his life helps to establish his character for the reader.
2. Santiago as a Tragic Hero in The Old Man and the Sea: Fatal Flaw & Examples
In literature, we often come across characters whose fatal flaw brings about great misfortune. In this lesson, we will go over Santiago's fatal flaw and give examples of how his misfortune has cast him as a tragic hero in literature.
3. Santiago as a Christ Figure in The Old Man and the Sea
There are numerous allusions to Christ in The Old Man and the Sea, and Santiago, despite his age, clearly exemplifies a Christ figure in Hemingway's famous novella.
4. Santiago's Courage in The Old Man and the Sea
The old man, Santiago, displays several different types of courage throughout Ernest Hemingway's ''The Old Man and the Sea'' as he continues his quest to reel in that one big fish.
5. Manolin in The Old Man and the Sea: Physical Description & Characterization
In this lesson, you will learn about one of the two most prominent characters in ''The Old Man and the Sea.'' This character is the boy, Manolin, who helps the old man throughout the novel.
6. The Old Man and the Sea: Santiago & Manolin Relationship
In Ernest Hemingway's novel, ''The Old Man and the Sea,'' there is a strong friendship between the old man and the boy. In this lesson you will learn about their relationship and its various aspects.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Old Man and the Sea Study Guide course
- The Old Man and the Sea Literary & Historical Context
- The Old Man and the Sea Literary Analysis
- Themes in The Old Man and the Sea
- Literary Devices in The Old Man and the Sea
- Symbols in The Old Man and the Sea
- Thematic Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea
- Character Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea
- The Old Man and the Sea Summaries
- Teaching The Old Man and the Sea