About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the literary and historical context of The Old Man and the Sea will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the literary and historical context of this novel by Ernest Hemingway. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing facts about the author, publication dates, awards and more related to The Old Man and the Sea
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Old Man and the Sea Literary & Historical Context chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Old Man and the Sea Literary & Historical Context chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the literary and historical context of The Old Man and the Sea for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Symbolism and themes in The Old Man and the Sea
- Biography, works and style of Ernest Hemingway
- Why Ernest Hemingway wrote The Old Man and the Sea
- Publication dates and significance of the title
- The Old Man and the Sea literary significance and awards
- Historical significance of the novel
- The novel's literary genre and setting
- Comparison of the book and film versions
- Vocabulary words and definitions in The Old Man and the Sea
1. The Old Man & The Sea by Ernest Hemingway: Summary, Symbolism & Themes
In this lesson, we will learn about Ernest Hemingway's short novel, The Old Man and the Sea. After we discuss the novel's plot, we will analyze its main symbols and themes. A short quiz will follow.
2. Ernest Hemingway: Biography, Works, and Style
American author Ernest Hemingway used the experiences from his rich and colorful life to inform his novels and short stories. Learn about how life and major works.
3. Why Did Ernest Hemingway Write The Old Man and the Sea?
Ernest Hemingway's 'Old Man and the Sea' has been a literary masterpiece for over 50 years. Both the timing in Hemingway's life and the sources of inspiration paved the way for a story that has stood the test of time.
4. Significance of the Title of The Old Man and the Sea
Both simple and complex, the title of Hemingway's ''The Old Man and the Sea'' offers a glimpse into the author's mind as well as the themes of the work. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the potential significance of the title.
5. The Old Man and the Sea Publication: Dates & Information
''The Old Man and the Sea'' was written 15 years after Ernest Hemingway had the initial idea for the concept. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the background and some of the lesser-known details of its publication.
6. Why is The Old Man and the Sea a Classic? - Literary Significance
Ernest Hemingway's ''The Old Man and the Sea'' examines man's place in the world while exploring his need for survival. Because of the introspective and philosophical nature of the novel, it attains the designation of classic literature.
7. Awards for The Old Man and the Sea
A much-loved classic, Hemingway's tale ''The Old Man and the Sea,'' also received numerous awards and accolades. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the awards granted to this novel favorite.
8. Historical Significance of The Old Man and the Sea
Ernest Hemingway's 'The Old Man and the Sea' is a small novel with big historical significance. It was influenced by Hemingway's urge for adventure and his refusal to accept the claims that his writing career was finished.
9. Literary Genre of The Old Man and the Sea
Knowing a book's genre can tell you all kinds of things before you even read the first page. In this lesson, we will look at the literary genre of ''The Old Man and the Sea'' and what it can tell us about the story.
10. Setting of The Old Man and the Sea: Description & Importance
Ernest Hemingway thought so much of the importance of 'The Old Man and the Sea's' setting that he included it in the title. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the setting of the novella and why it's important.
11. The Old Man and the Sea Book & Film Comparison
In this lesson, Ernest Hemingway's novel ''The Old Man and the Sea'' is compared with two of the films that have been based on this text. We'll explore the differences and similarities between these films and the novel.
12. The Old Man and the Sea Vocabulary Words & Definitions
In Hemingway's ''The Old Man and the Sea,'' we see a variety of vocabulary choices relating to fishing, boats and Spanish terms. In this lesson, we'll take a look at a few of the more difficult terms and their use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Old Man and the Sea Study Guide course
- The Old Man and the Sea Literary Analysis
- Themes in The Old Man and the Sea
- Literary Devices in The Old Man and the Sea
- Symbols in The Old Man and the Sea
- The Old Man and the Sea Characters
- Thematic Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea
- Character Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea
- The Old Man and the Sea Summaries
- Teaching The Old Man and the Sea