About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help summarizing the chapters from The Old Man and the Sea will benefit from these lessons. There is no faster or easier way to summarize Days 1-5 from the story. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in studying the chapters from The Old Man and the Sea
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Old Man and the Sea Summaries chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Old Man and the Sea Summaries chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
These lessons summarize the chapters students need to know from The Old Man and the Sea for a standard literature course. You can expect to study:
- An overview of the book's characters
- Major themes in the book
- Complete summaries of all five chapters (Day 1-5) from The Old Man and the Sea
1. The Old Man and the Sea: Summary, Characters & Themes
The Old Man and the Sea was the last novel Ernest Hemingway published before killing himself in 1961. In many ways, the novel gives us a glimpse into the award-winning author's mind as this story's events and themes connect to Hemingway's life.
2. The Old Man and the Sea Day 1 Summary
In this lesson, we will summarize the first day of 'The Old Man and the Sea' by Ernest Hemingway. On the first day, we are introduced to the fisherman and the boy who formerly worked with him, who are the main characters in the short novel.
3. The Old Man and the Sea Day 2 Summary
The old man goes through his daily ritual in his quest to land a big fish. In this second day of his story as told in Hemingway's ''The Old Man and the Sea'', he makes observations about oceanic life before a large fish begins to tow him around.
4. The Old Man and the Sea Day 3 Summary
In the third day of ''The Old Man and the Sea,'' Santiago sees the fish for the first time and realizes that the struggle to land the biggest fish of his life is just as enormous as the struggle to accept the concept of death.
5. The Old Man and the Sea Day 4 Summary
The fourth day of Santiago's struggle to bring in the biggest fish of his life in 'The Old Man and the Sea' proves to be rewarding, but only for about an hour.
6. The Old Man and the Sea Day 5 Summary
This lesson will cover the fifth and final day of the old man's ordeal. On this day, Santiago returns to his village a beaten man. We will look at his reunion with Manolin - the boy he once fished with -, the town's reaction to his return, his broken spirit and the final scene of the book.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Old Man and the Sea Study Guide course
- The Old Man and the Sea Literary & Historical Context
- The Old Man and the Sea Literary Analysis
- Themes in The Old Man and the Sea
- Literary Devices in The Old Man and the Sea
- Symbols in The Old Man and the Sea
- The Old Man and the Sea Characters
- Thematic Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea
- Character Quotes from The Old Man and the Sea
- Teaching The Old Man and the Sea