About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding middle school life science material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding evolution or the origin and history of life on earth.
- Need an efficient way to learn about the origin and history of life on earth.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra psychology learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Origin and History of Life on Earth chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Origin and History of Life on Earth chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- How do biogenesis, cell theory and spontaneous generation explain the beginning of life?
- What theories are used to support how life evolved from non-living things?
- What main areas and periods make up the history of life on earth?
- How can evolution occur in multiple ways?
1. The Origin of Life on Earth: Theories and Explanations
Scientific theories of the origin of life on Earth are varied and typically focused on the utilization of radiation and chemical compounds within the atmosphere of the planet. Learn about the early stages of life on Earth from a scientific perspective, and discover the explanations provided by the Oparin Hypothesis and the Miller-Urey experiment.
2. The History of Life on Earth: Timeline and Characteristics of Major Eras
Life on Earth started millions of years ago and these periods are classified into several major eras defined by the characteristics of the organisms existing within the appropriate timelines. Learn about the characteristics of different organisms that existed during major timelines in history.
3. Evolutionary Change: Definition and Forms
Evolution is a phenomenon that happens when organic matter changes over time to adapt and survive to its changing environment. Learn the definition and forms of evolution and discover how it is portrayed in organic matter.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Middle School Life Science: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Life Science: Help and Review
- Characteristics & Chemicals of Life: Help and Review
- The Parts of Cells: Help and Review
- DNA Replication & Mutation: Help and Review
- Cell Division & the Cell Cycle: Help and Review
- How Living Organisms Get Energy: Help and Review
- Classification of Organisms: Help and Review
- Genetics & Hereditary Traits: Help and Review
- Genetic Engineering Basics: Help and Review
- Natural Selection & Evolution in Life Science: Help and Review
- Microbiology & Types of Microbes: Help and Review
- Introduction to Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Types of Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Changing Ecosystems: Help and Review
- Invertebrates: Help and Review
- Animal Behavior & Communication: Help and Review
- Mammal Reproduction & Development: Help and Review
- The Cardiovascular System: Help and Review
- The Blood Vessels: Help and Review
- The Digestive System: Help and Review
- The Urinary & Endocrine Systems: Help and Review
- The Muscular System: Help and Review
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue: Help and Review
- Sight, Hearing & Other Senses: Help and Review
- Health Issues & Concerns: Help and Review
- Plant Biology & Structure: Help and Review
- How Plants Grow & Reproduce: Help and Review
- Environmental Concerns: Help and Review
- Natural Resources: Help and Review