About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering literary devices and context material of The Outsiders will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the context and literary devices used in this book. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the literary context and devices in The Outsiders
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual and auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Outsiders: Literary Context & Devices chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Outsiders: Literary Context & Devices chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about a literary context of The Outsiders and the literary devices used to tell the story for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Biographical outlook of author S.E. Hinton, including other works and awards received
- Analysis of the literary devices used throughout the story, including figurative language, metaphors, foreshadowing, personification and point-of-view
- Examination of the themes and setting of the story
- Review of the vocabulary and slang words used in the text
1. S.E. Hinton: Biography, Books & Awards
Young adult literature wouldn't be what it is today without S.E. Hinton, whose beloved novels expanded the genre from light romance stories to real-life struggles of the teenage experience. Find out more about Hinton's life, her body of work and the awards she's received, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Literary Devices in The Outsiders
Authors, like S.E. Hinton, carefully choose their words to help you, the reader, feel invested in the story. In this lesson, we will look the literary devices used in 'The Outsiders'.
3. The Outsiders Setting
In this lesson, you will learn how the setting of the ''The Outsiders'' impacted the story. Author S.E. Hinton grew up in Tulsa, OK, during the 1960s. This novel mimics her perception of her surroundings during her teenage years.
4. The Outsiders Themes
In 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton, the major theme surrounds the conflict between the social classes, but there are other underlying themes as well. In this lesson, we'll learn more about the themes in this novel.
5. Figurative Language in The Outsiders
In this lesson, we will learn how S.E. Hinton uses figurative language to describe characters and events in the novel, 'The Outsiders'. The heavy use of metaphors and other descriptive comparisons bring this story to life.
6. Metaphors in The Outsiders
In ''The Outsiders'', S.E. Hinton uses a great deal of figurative language to engage the reader. In this lesson, we will look at how metaphors are used to describe people, places, and events.
7. Foreshadowing in The Outsiders
S.E. Hinton uses foreshadowing extensively in her work. In this lesson, we will learn how she used foreshadowing to predict three major events in the novel, 'The Outsiders.'
8. Personification in The Outsiders
Personification is used by S.E. Hinton in 'The Outsiders' to make her sentences more engaging and interesting for the reader. Personification is one literary device that can be used to help readers visualize the scene.
9. Point of View in The Outsiders
When you read ''The Outsiders,'' you are immediately cast into the harsh light of street gangs as seen through the eyes of the narrator, Ponyboy Curtis. This lesson will explore the novel's point of view and explore Ponyboy's thoughts on the characters and events in story.
10. The Outsiders Slang Words & Vocab
Do you ever feel that when you're reading a good book, it not only tells you about a time and place but actually brings you there? That is what S.E. Hinton does through her use of slang in the novel 'The Outsiders.'
The Outsiders Vocabulary & Slang Words Flashcards
The Outsiders is a classic book that contains complex language and themes. Use these cards to grasp slang terms and vocabulary that are scattered throughout the book so that you fully engage in this iconic novel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.