About This Chapter
The Ozone Layer, Climate Change & Air Pollution - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's video lessons to learn about the causes of climate change, and explore what can be done to mitigate their impact. Our instructors will describe what the ozone layer does and why its thinning is harmful. Another lesson explores the causes and types of air pollution.
You will see what determines the climate in a region and look at how global climate change is occurring. After viewing these lessons, you should be ready to:
- Detail the importance of the ozone layer
- List some factors that contribute to climate change
- Describe the natural factors that determine climate in a particular area
- Outline the atmospheric causes of global warming and global warming's effect on climate
- Analyze global climate changes and strategies for minimizing harmful factors
- Name sources and types of air pollution
You can watch these lessons and take the brief quizzes that accompany them on a computer or mobile device anytime you have a few minutes to spare. Our lessons include written transcripts that allow you to read along with the instructor. Key topics are highlighted, and you'll find links to related courses that offer more information.
1. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
2. Factors Involved in Climate Change
Our Earth's climate has changed many times in her 4.5 billion year lifetime. Discover the multiple factors that influence these changes and test your understanding with a short quiz.
3. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
4. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
5. Global Climate Change: Effects and Mitigation Strategies
In this video lesson, you will learn about the potential effects of global climate change. You will also learn how some are working to better understand climate change in order to slow the rate of temperature increase on Earth.
6. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AEPA Earth Science (AZ045): Practice & Study Guide course
- Development of Earth & Space Science
- Nature of Scientific Inquiry
- Scientific Data & Calculations
- Maps & Spatial Concepts
- Space Science Technology
- Laboratory Safety & Procedures
- Earth's Formation & Structure
- Plate Tectonics, Continental Drift & Ocean Formations
- Time & Dating in Geology
- Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- Physical & Chemical Properties of Earth's Minerals
- Rocks & Minerals
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Biogeochemical Cycles
- Earth's Hydrologic Cycle
- Earth's Fresh Water
- Atmospheric Structure & Energy Transfer
- Season & Climate Classifications
- Earth's Climate System: Wind, Air Masses & El Nino
- Weather Conditions & Severe Weather Phenomena
- Weather Forecasting and Analysis
- Characteristics of Ocean Water, Currents & Waves
- The Earth & the Moon
- The Sun's Structure, Energy & Life Cycle
- Celestial Orbit Characteristics
- Solar Radiation, Energy & Electromagnetic Waves
- Formation of the Solar System
- Celestial Bodies of the Solar System
- Kepler & Newton's Laws of Motion
- Star Types and Significance
- Characteristics of Stars
- Structure of the Milky Way Galaxy
- The Universe: Key Concepts & Theories
- AEPA Earth Science Flashcards