About This Chapter
The Problem Solving Process - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes a collection of mobile-friendly lessons on the problem solving process designed specifically for the needs of supervisors. Supervisors can watch short videos on problem solving strategies, different types of problem solving methods in management and the skills and steps involved with problem solving in organizations. Along with each video, we've included a short quiz you can use to make sure your supervisors retain what they've learned.
How It Helps
- Offers strategies: Managers and supervisors will come away from this corporate training chapter with skills and strategies they can use to improve their problem solving abilities right away.
- Targeted instruction: These lessons are designed specifically to offer problem solving information that's focused on the needs of those in management roles.
- Builds confidence: Your management teams will feel more confident making decisions and solving problems after reviewing these resources.
This chapter is designed to help supervisors do the following:
- Understand different types of problems and problem solving strategies
- Outline different types of problem solving methods
- Discuss supervision and management problem solving types
- Detail skills and steps used for problem solving in organizations
- Define the common sense approach to team problem solving
1. Types of Problems & Problem Solving Strategies
We solve hundreds of small problems everyday. This lesson covers different types of problems, such as routine vs. non-routine, and many of the different problem-solving strategies we use, including algorithms, heuristics, graphic representations and the IDEAL Strategy.
2. Problem Solving Methods: Definition & Types
There's more than one way to solve a problem. In this lesson, we'll review the five most common methods: trial and error, difference reduction, means-ends analysis, working backwards, and analogies.
3. Types of Problem Solving Methods in Management and Supervision
A big part of management and supervision is solving problems. In this lesson, we'll take a look at a few problem-solving methods that can be used to solve typical problems facing managers and supervisors. A short quiz follows.
4. Practical Application: Choosing a Problem Solving Method in Management & Supervision
This scenario will help you choose the best method to solve problems in the workplace. Here, we'll review a common problem a supervisor might have and look at possible solutions.
5. Problem Solving in Organizations: Skills, Steps & Strategies
We all have a variety of problems to solve at work each day. You can learn more about some of the ways that effective managers deal with problems and overcome even the toughest challenges in this lesson.
6. The Common Sense Approach to Team Problem Solving
A successful team works together to achieve a common goal. During this process, teams need to resolve problems together. This lesson will address the common sense approach to team problem solving.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.