About This Chapter
The Progressive Era in America - Chapter Summary
Get a quick review of Progressive Era political agendas and the attempts at social and economic reform during the early decades of the 20th century. You'll take a look at the accomplishments of Theodore Roosevelt's and Woodrow Wilson's presidencies and survey some of the political changes occurring at the state and local levels. Instructors also outline the work of African-American leaders during this period in history and discuss the gains made by early feminist organizations. Lessons in this chapter cover the following topics:
- Progressive Era reforms
- The presidential election of 1912
- African-American issues
- The women's suffrage movement
This chapter's engaging videos break up instruction into lessons lasting roughly five minutes each. You can also access transcripts featuring key vocabulary terms, important historical figures and significant legislation in bold, allowing you to quickly and easily identify Progressive Era history concepts you'll want to be familiar with. Multiple-choice lesson quizzes and a chapter exam are available to help test your understanding of this material.
1. Theodore Roosevelt & the Progressives: Definition and Political Agenda
In the early 20th century, the United States had become an increasingly industrialized society. Progressive reformers believed that many social, economic and political issues required federal government regulation. Learn how Progressive Era reformers, including President Theodore Roosevelt and his Square Deal, worked to correct problems that accompanied this rapid development and expansion.
2. Progressive Politics: Definition, Reforms & Amendments
During the Progressive Era, from around 1900-1917, political reformers pushed for an end of abuse of power in politics and government. Learn how political reforms of the Progressive Era helped make government more responsive to the people, prompting changes at every level of government.
3. Presidential Election of 1912: Candidates, Platforms & Significance
The presidential election of 1912 was a four-way race that brought out third party candidates and a former president. Learn about the candidates, their platforms and Woodrow Wilson's major accomplishments.
4. African Americans in the Progressive Era: Issues & Leaders
During the Progressive Era, from approximately 1900 to 1918, progress for many African Americans was hard to come by. Explore some of the inequalities African Americans faced and learn about notable African-American leaders of the era including Ida B. Wells, Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Du Bois.
5. Women's Suffrage & Early Feminism: Movement, 19th Amendment & Leaders
The women's suffrage movement became one of the most prominent areas of reform during the Progressive movement. Learn about the work of early feminists, changing roles of women and notable women suffrage leaders who pushed for women's right to vote.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School US History: Help and Review course
- First Contacts: Help and Review
- American History Before the Revolution
- Settling North America: Help and Review
- The Road to Revolution: Help and Review
- The American Revolution: Help and Review
- The Making of a New Nation: Help and Review
- The Virginia Dynasty: Help and Review
- Jacksonian Democracy: Help and Review
- Life in Antebellum America: Help and Review
- Manifest Destiny: Help and Review
- Sectional Crisis: Help and Review
- American Civil War: Help and Review
- Reconstruction: Help and Review
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization: Help and Review
- The Progressive Era: Help and Review
- American Imperialism: Help and Review
- The Roaring 20s: Help and Review
- The Great Depression: Help and Review
- The US in World War ll: Help and Review
- Post-War World: Help and Review
- The Cold War in America: Help and Review
- Protests, Activism and Civil Disobedience: Help and Review
- The 1970s: Help and Review
- The Rise of Political Conservatism: Help and Review
- Contemporary America: Help and Review
- History Resources
- The Second American Industrial Revolution
- The Great Depression in America
- Life in the Early American Colonies
- The Constitution of the United States
- The Civil War & the Indian Wars
- History Vocabulary & Concepts
- Historical Research
- Post-War America