About This Chapter
The Psychological Study of Diversity - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you can expect to review short and simple lessons about the psychological study of diversity. After examining the overall purpose of this type of psychological study, you'll see how diversity is examined through political, ideological and social justice perspectives. We've included short quizzes throughout the chapter to help you reinforce your understanding of the material, and if you have any questions about the lesson topics, you can submit them to our instructors online. The chapter is also available to study at any time that fits your schedule. When you're finished with the lessons and quizzes, you should be able to:
- Explain the purpose and goals of the psychological study of diversity
- Assess the limitations of the political and ideological diversity perspectives
- Define the social justice perspective of diversity
1. Psychological Study of Diversity: Purpose & Goals
If you are interested in the field of psychology, you might be wondering what this discipline has to say about human diversity. This lesson discusses purposes and goals when it comes to studying diversity from a psychological perspective.
2. Demographic Perspective of Diversity: Overview, Limitations & Example
If you are interested in delving into diversity, chances are you will spend some time considering and learning about demographics. This lesson discusses the demographic perspective of diversity as well as some of its limitations.
3. Political Perspective of Diversity: Overview, Limitations & Example
If you are someone who cares about diversity and inclusion, then you probably know that there are many different ways to think about diversity. This lesson provides an overview of the political perspective on diversity.
4. Ideological Perspective of Diversity: Overview, Limitations & Example
There are many different ways to think about and study diversity, and each perspective has advantages and disadvantages. This lesson focuses on the meaning and relevance of the ideological perspective of diversity.
5. Social Justice Perspective of Diversity: Overview & Example
Understanding the psychology and philosophy of diversity is complex and involves thinking about a variety of perspectives. This lesson offers an overview and example that will help you understand the social justice perspective of diversity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 303: Psychology of Diversity course
- Social Identity & Categorization Theories
- Understanding Diversity in Psychology
- Psychology of Diversity Theories & Research
- Psychological Perspectives of Human Behavior
- Understanding Racism & Discrimination
- Understanding of Stereotypes & Biases
- Multiculturalism & Cultural Relativism
- Fundamentals of Cultural Research in Psychology
- Bias, Cultural Competence & Awareness
- Psychology Research Methods & Tools
- Required Assignments for Psychology 303