About This Chapter
The Reformation of the Catholic Church - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter look at changes in European Christianity during the Reformation period. Our instructors will discuss the state of the Catholic Church prior to the Reformation and the reforms proposed by Martin Luther. You'll see how Protestantism started and track its growth. Another lesson examines the changes in religion brought about by Henry VIII.
You will explore how the Catholic Church changed after the Reformation, and examine Protestant influence on society. After watching all these lessons, you should be able to:
- Discuss the beliefs and practices of the Catholic Church prior to the Reformation
- Explain what Martin Luther asked for in his 95 Theses
- Describe how the Protestant movement spread across Europe
- Show how Henry VIII created the Church of England
- Analyze Tycho Brahe and Copernicus' ideas on the universe
- Talk about what the Council of Trent did
- Examine Europe post-Reformation
- Name some ways the Reformation changed the Catholic Church
These short, entertaining lessons are accompanied by multiple-choice quizzes that let your assess your knowledge. They're available anytime, on a computer or mobile device. You are encouraged to contact the instructor if you have additional questions.
1. The Rise of the Vernacular and the Decline of Latin
At the height of the Roman Empire, Latin was spread throughout Europe until the fall of the Roman Empire. Learn about the Roman Empire's role in spreading Latin throughout Europe, the introduction of vernacular languages and romance languages, and why Latin began to decline during the Dark Ages.
2. The Catholic Church Before the Reformation: Beliefs and Practices
Prior to the Protestant Reformation in the year 1500, the Roman Catholic Church dominated the beliefs and practices of the vast majority of Christians. Explore how the Catholic Church exerted its dominance over the followers of Jesus Christ.
3. Martin Luther, the 95 Theses and the Birth of the Protestant Reformation
In 1517, Martin Luther, who believed salvation could not be purchased from the Catholic Church, but rather was earned by faith alone, published his '95 Theses' explaining why. Explore Luther's challenge to the Holy Roman Empire and the subsequent establishment of his own church in 1526.
4. The Spread of the Protestant Reformation Across Europe
Martin Luther, displeased with the Catholic church, started the spread of Protestant reformation across Europe in the 16th century. Learn how and why the Protestant reformation began and how it spread across Europe.
5. Henry VIII: The Anglican Church
Henry VIII was the first king to successfully free England from the overbearing power of the Pope and established the Anglican Church. Learn more about the conflicts the kings of England - as well as English statesman Thomas Cromwell - had with the Pope, laws they changed to undermine the power of the Catholic Church, and compare the Church of England to the Roman Catholic Church.
6. Tycho Brahe and Copernicus Take On the Known Universe
Until the sixteenth century, the leading theory on the structure of the universe was Ptolemy's Earth-centric model. This lesson delves into the new theories posited by Copernicus and Brahe that radically challenged this perception and led to our current understanding of the Solar System.
7. The Council of Trent: The Catholic Church Survives the Reformation
The Council of Trent convened to address the exodus of people from the Catholic Church during the Protestant Reformation. Explore the Council of Trent, religious orders, and the counter-Reformation. Understand how the Catholic Church survived the Reformation.
8. Life After the Reformation & Protestant Influence on Society
The Protestant Reformation was a significant movement that led to many societal changes in Europe, including an exodus of many people from the Catholic Church. Learn about life in Europe after the Reformation and explore the Protestant influence on society, including its impact on education and family life.
9. The Reformers & the Catholic Church: How Religious Beliefs Transformed During the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation challenged the Catholic Church's beliefs and positions. Learn about the Reformers and their relationship to the Catholic Church. Explore Protestant beliefs and understand how religious beliefs transformed during the Reformation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Help and Review course
- AP European History - Overview of the Renaissance: Help and Review
- AP European History - Renaissance Philosophy: Help & Review
- AP European History - Reformation Roots & Teachings: Help and Review
- AP History - The Reformation Across Europe: Help & Review
- AP European History - Wars of Religion: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Age of Expansion: Help and Review
- How Monarchical Nation States Developed: Help and Review
- AP European History - English History (1450-1700): Help and Review
- AP History - Scientific Revolution & Enlightenment: Help & Review
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Help and Review
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Napoleonic Empire: Help and Review
- AP European History - Western Revolutionary Movements of the 19th Century: Help and Review
- AP European History - Central Revolutionary Movements of the 19th Century: Help and Review
- AP European History - First Industrial Revolution: Help & Review
- AP European History - Second Industrial Revolution: Help & Review
- Nation States Unification in the 19th Century: Help & Review
- AP European History - Europe 1871-1914: Help and Review
- AP European History - World War I: Help and Review
- AP European History - Russia After World War I: Help and Review
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Rise of Fascism: Help and Review
- AP European History - World War II: Help and Review
- AP European History - Post-war Europe: Help and Review
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Help and Review
- AP European History - After the Soviet Union: Help & Review
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Writing a Good Essay on the AP European History Exam
- AP European History Exam Essay: Help & Review
- European Discoveries & Wars
- Events & Major Figures of the Renaissance