About This Chapter
The Reformation of the Catholic Church - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter look at changes in European Christianity during the Reformation period. Our instructors will discuss the state of the Catholic Church prior to the Reformation and the reforms proposed by Martin Luther. You'll see how Protestantism started and track its growth. Another lesson examines the changes in religion brought about by Henry VIII.
You will explore how the Catholic Church changed after the Reformation, and examine Protestant influence on society. After watching all these lessons, you should be able to:
- Discuss the beliefs and practices of the Catholic Church prior to the Reformation
- Explain what Martin Luther asked for in his 95 Theses
- Describe how the Protestant movement spread across Europe
- Show how Henry VIII created the Church of England
- Analyze Tycho Brahe and Copernicus' ideas on the universe
- Talk about what the Council of Trent did
- Examine Europe post-Reformation
- Name some ways the Reformation changed the Catholic Church
These short, entertaining lessons are accompanied by multiple-choice quizzes that let your assess your knowledge. They're available anytime, on a computer or mobile device. You are encouraged to contact the instructor if you have additional questions.
1. The Rise of the Vernacular and the Decline of Latin
This lesson explains how Latin was widespread in Europe during the Roman Empire as well as how vernacular languages slowly replaced it. It also reviews how the Romance languages developed.
2. The Catholic Church Before the Reformation: Beliefs and Practices
In 1500 C.E. the Roman Catholic Church was a very powerful institution in the West. Watch this video to learn how the Church maintained its power by teaching that salvation could only be earned by those who received the sacraments and performed good works.
3. Martin Luther, the 95 Theses and the Birth of the Protestant Reformation
This lesson covers the start of the Protestant Reformation. It begins by comparing the vast array and peacefulness of Christian denominations in modern days to the limited choices and violence of the past. Then it goes into the story of Martin Luther, from his 95 Theses through the Diet of Worms up to the beginning of the German Peasant Revolt.
4. The Spread of the Protestant Reformation Across Europe
In the 16th century, Martin Luther inspired people to believe that the Catholic Church shouldn't hold authority over laypeople. This lesson explores the spread of these Protestant ideas throughout Europe.
5. Henry VIII: The Anglican Church
This lesson covers the various steps Henry VIII took in breaking away from the Roman Catholic Church. You'll learn how Henry managed to get what he wanted by going through legal means and playing off of others who also had problems with the Church.
6. Tycho Brahe and Copernicus Take On the Known Universe
Astronomy according to Ptolemy was the popular theory until Copernicus turned it on its head. This lesson explores the theories of Copernicus and Brahe and how the two changed astronomical study.
7. The Council of Trent: The Catholic Church Survives the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation was a movement of Christians who disagreed with some of the teachings and actions of the Catholic Church. This article explores the effect of the Reformation on the Church.
8. Life After the Reformation & Protestant Influence on Society
The Protestant Reformation was a huge movement that led to many Christians splitting from the Catholic Church. This lesson explores the after effects on families, education and social life.
9. The Reformers & the Catholic Church: How Religious Beliefs Transformed During the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation challenged the beliefs of the Catholic Church. This lesson explores some of the differing beliefs among Protestant and Catholic reformers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Help and Review course
- AP European History - Overview of the Renaissance: Help and Review
- AP European History - Renaissance Philosophy: Help & Review
- AP European History - Reformation Roots & Teachings: Help and Review
- AP History - The Reformation Across Europe: Help & Review
- AP European History - Wars of Religion: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Age of Expansion: Help and Review
- How Monarchical Nation States Developed: Help and Review
- AP European History - English History (1450-1700): Help and Review
- AP History - Scientific Revolution & Enlightenment: Help & Review
- AP European History - 18th Century Powers: Help and Review
- AP European History - The French Revolution: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Napoleonic Empire: Help and Review
- AP European History - Western Revolutionary Movements of the 19th Century: Help and Review
- AP European History - Central Revolutionary Movements of the 19th Century: Help and Review
- AP European History - First Industrial Revolution: Help & Review
- AP European History - Second Industrial Revolution: Help & Review
- Nation States Unification in the 19th Century: Help & Review
- AP European History - Europe 1871-1914: Help and Review
- AP European History - World War I: Help and Review
- AP European History - Russia After World War I: Help and Review
- AP European History - The 1920s & 1930s: Help and Review
- AP European History - The Rise of Fascism: Help and Review
- AP European History - World War II: Help and Review
- AP European History - Post-war Europe: Help and Review
- AP European History - Cold War Europe: Help and Review
- AP European History - After the Soviet Union: Help & Review
- Portions of the AP European History Exam: Help and Review
- Help & Review for Writing a Good Essay on the AP European History Exam
- AP European History Exam Essay: Help & Review
- European Discoveries & Wars
- Events & Major Figures of the Renaissance