About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your representative elements of the periodic table homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your representative elements of the periodic table homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Defining representative elements of the periodic table
- Examining properties of alkali metals (Group 1A elements)
- Describing alkaline earths (Group 2A elements)
- Identifying properties of Group 3A elements
- Providing the definition of Group 4A elements
- Analyzing the definition and properties of Group 5A elements
- Understanding chalcogens (Group 6A elements)
- Defining and examining the properties of halogens (Group 7A elements)
- Identifying the properties of noble gases (Group 8A elements)
1. Representative Elements of the Periodic Table: Definition & Overview
You might not think salt and a banana have much in common, but they do! The periodic table organizes elements into groups based on similar properties. This video will explore the representative elements, focusing on each group or family.
2. Alkali Metals (Group 1A Elements): Definition & Properties
Elements that can explode when put into water? Metals that can be cut with a knife? These are just some of the properties alkali metals share. This video will describe more properties and give some uses of these interesting metals.
3. Alkaline Earths (Group 2A Elements): Definition & Properties
Alkaline earth metals can be found running through your blood... and in nuclear fallout! This lesson will examine properties they share and look at how they impact your health.
4. Group 3A Elements: Definition & Properties
The Group 3A elements don't have a whole lot in common, so we'll examine their unique characteristics in addition to their similarities. This video will explore the properties and uses of elements in this group.
5. Group 4A Elements: Definition & Properties
From computer chips to diamonds, you can find some of the group 4A elements everywhere you look! This lesson will examine properties group 4A shares and will list some of the uses of these elements.
6. Group 5A Elements: Definition & Properties
The group 5A elements aren't as recognizable as other elements on the periodic table, but they are important nonetheless. This lesson will examine properties they share and will give some examples of why this group is so important.
7. Chalcogens (Group 6A Elements): Definition & Properties
Some can kill you, some are useful, and one is vital to your survival. Welcome to the chalcogens! This lesson will list common properties, and will then share some uses and characteristics of these diverse Group 6A elements.
8. Halogens (Group 7A Elements): Definition & Properties
The halogens are a group of non-metals that share several properties. This lesson will examine these properties and will also look at the many uses of these group 7A elements.
9. Noble Gases (Group 8A Elements): Definition & Properties
The noble gases are an inert group of elements with some fun and fascinating uses. This lesson will explore the properties that the noble gases share and will look at some of their uses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Chemistry: Homework Help Resource course
- Introduction to Chemistry: Homework Help
- Measurement and Problem Solving: Homework Help
- Experimental Laboratory Chemistry: Homework Help
- What Is Matter? - Homework Help
- Understanding Atomic Structure: Homework Help
- The Periodic Table of Elements: Homework Help
- Nuclear Chemistry: Homework Help
- Bonding: Homework Help
- Phase Changes for Liquids and Solids: Homework Help
- Gases in Chemistry: Homework Help
- Solutions in Chemistry: Homework Help
- Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations: Homework Help
- Acids, Bases, and Reactions: Homework Help
- Equilibrium: Homework Help
- Chemistry Kinetics: Homework Help
- Thermodynamics in Chemistry: Homework Help
- Organic Chemistry Basics: Homework Help
- Chemistry of DNA and RNA: Homework Help
- Chemistry of DNA Replication: Homework Help