About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school chemistry work.
- Identify the representative elements of the periodic table concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our High School Chemistry Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the representative elements of the periodic table and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding alkali metals, alkaline earths, chalcogens, halogens or any other representative elements of the periodic table topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their representative elements of the periodic table unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school chemistry
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about the representative elements of the periodic table simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live chemistry tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about the representative elements of the periodic table on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Define the representative elements of the periodic table.
- Study alkali metals and alkaline earths.
- Review Group 3A, 4A and 5A elements.
- Explore chalcogens and halogens.
- Understand the definition and properties of noble gases.
1. Representative Elements of the Periodic Table: Definition & Overview
You might not think salt and a banana have much in common, but they do! The periodic table organizes elements into groups based on similar properties. This video will explore the representative elements, focusing on each group or family.
2. Alkali Metals (Group 1A Elements): Definition & Properties
Elements that can explode when put into water? Metals that can be cut with a knife? These are just some of the properties alkali metals share. This video will describe more properties and give some uses of these interesting metals.
3. Alkaline Earths (Group 2A Elements): Definition & Properties
Alkaline earth metals can be found running through your blood... and in nuclear fallout! This lesson will examine properties they share and look at how they impact your health.
4. Group 3A Elements: Definition & Properties
The Group 3A elements don't have a whole lot in common, so we'll examine their unique characteristics in addition to their similarities. This video will explore the properties and uses of elements in this group.
5. Group 4A Elements: Definition & Properties
From computer chips to diamonds, you can find some of the group 4A elements everywhere you look! This lesson will examine properties group 4A shares and will list some of the uses of these elements.
6. Group 5A Elements: Definition & Properties
The group 5A elements aren't as recognizable as other elements on the periodic table, but they are important nonetheless. This lesson will examine properties they share and will give some examples of why this group is so important.
7. Chalcogens (Group 6A Elements): Definition & Properties
Some can kill you, some are useful, and one is vital to your survival. Welcome to the chalcogens! This lesson will list common properties, and will then share some uses and characteristics of these diverse Group 6A elements.
8. Halogens (Group 7A Elements): Definition & Properties
The halogens are a group of non-metals that share several properties. This lesson will examine these properties and will also look at the many uses of these group 7A elements.
9. Noble Gases (Group 8A Elements): Definition & Properties
The noble gases are an inert group of elements with some fun and fascinating uses. This lesson will explore the properties that the noble gases share and will look at some of their uses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Chemistry: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Measurement and Problem Solving: Tutoring Solution
- Experimental Laboratory Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- What Is Matter? - Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Atomic Structure: Tutoring Solution
- The Periodic Table of Elements: Tutoring Solution
- Nuclear Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Bonding: Tutoring Solution
- Phase Changes for Liquids and Solids: Tutoring Solution
- Gases in Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Solutions in Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Stoichiometry and Chemical Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Acids, Bases and Reactions: Tutoring Solution
- Equilibrium: Tutoring Solution
- Chemistry Kinetics: Tutoring Solution
- Thermodynamics in Chemistry: Tutoring Solution
- Organic Chemistry Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Chemistry of Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA: Tutoring Solution
- Chemistry of DNA Replication: Tutoring Solution