About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Reproductive Systems chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Overview of Animal Reproduction and Development||Sexual reproduction in animals|
|Tuesday||Male Reproductive System Overview||The anatomy and function of the male reproductive organs|
|Wednesday||Male Reproductive System Overview||The role of male and female gametes|
|Thursday||Female Reproductive System Overview||The functions of the ovaries, uterus and uterine tubes of the human female|
|Friday||The Ovarian Cycle: Anatomy and Processes||A look at the progression of the ovarian cycle through the years|
1. Male Reproductive System: Functions, Organs & Anatomy
Ever wonder what the inside of a male looks like? Find out in this lesson that explores the inner workings of the male reproductive system and the pathway that sperm takes.
2. Male Reproductive System: Accessory Gland Functions
Males require a number of different glands to aid in the production of semen. Find out more about those glands in this lesson covering the male accessory glands.
3. Testicular Anatomy: Structure, Terms & Diagrams
Ever wonder about where sperm is made? Find out in this lesson covering the function and anatomy of the male testes. We'll talk about sperm and testosterone production and how the two work together.
4. Male Reproductive System: External Anatomy
Learn about the structure and function of the external reproductive structures of the male. This includes study of the scrotal sac, the parts of the penis and the erectile tissues.
5. Sperm's Journey from the Testes to Urethral Orifice
Follow newly created sperm as they make their way from their origin of creation, the male testes, all the way to the exit of the male reproductive tract.
6. The HPG Axis: Hormones of Male Reproduction
Do you know how your body communicates? How does the brain get in touch with other parts of the body? In this lesson, you will learn about how the male's brain uses hormones to communicate to the testes as a way of regulating reproduction.
7. Female Reproductive System: Internal Anatomy
Ever wonder where a female produces her eggs or how they get from the ovary to the uterus? Find out in this lesson about the internal reproductive anatomy of females.
8. The Uterus and Uterine Wall: Structure and Parts
Learn all about the structure responsible for the development of babies in this lesson on uterine anatomy. Discover the three layers of the uterus and each layer's purpose.
9. External Anatomy of the Female Reproductive System
We all know that men and women are different. But just how different are they? Learn a little more about the differences between men and women in this lesson on female external reproductive anatomy.
10. HPG Axis: Hormonal Control of the Ovarian Cycle
Everything in the female reproductive system is connected. See how the brain interacts with the ovaries during the female's ovarian cycle in this lesson covering the female HPG axis.
11. Phases of The Ovarian Cycle: Overview from Puberty to Menopause
Just like the human body has to grow and mature before it is ready to reproduce the female's gamete, the egg also has to grow and mature. This lesson will introduce the process through which that occurs, the ovarian cycle.
12. Follicular Phase of the Ovarian Cycle
The female gamete, the oocyte, grows and matures in a process known as the ovarian cycle. Learn about the first part of the ovarian cycle, the follicular phase, in this lesson.
13. Luteal Phase of the Ovarian Cycle
Each month, the ovaries recruit and mature a subset of oocytes in preparation for ovulation. Learn what happens after ovulation occurs in the second phase of the ovarian cycle, known as the luteal phase.
14. The Uterine Cycle: Phases and Endometrial Changes
Just like a woman's ovaries go through the monthly cycle of recruiting eggs, her uterus also goes through a monthly cycle as it prepares for the possible implantation of a fertilized egg. This lesson will introduce you to the phases and hormones of the female's uterine cycle.
15. The Uterine Cycle: Menses
Each month the female's uterus prepares for the potential of pregnancy. However, pregnancy doesn't occur the majority of the time. In those months, the female's uterus has to 'reset' itself for the next month. It does that during the first phase of the uterine cycle, menses.
16. The Uterine Cycle: Proliferative Phase
A woman's body goes through many changes as it prepares for the possibility of pregnancy. Learn about how the uterus prepares for pregnancy by building up its inner lining during this lesson on the proliferative phase of the uterine cycle.
17. The Uterine Cycle: Secretory Phase
The third (and final) phase of the uterine cycle is the secretory phase. During this phase, the uterine tissue regrowth is completed in preparation for the possibility of pregnancy and the implantation of a fertilized egg.
18. The Female Reproductive Axis: Coordination of the Brain, Ovaries & Uterus
Without proper communication between the brain, ovaries and uterus, reproduction might not be as efficient. Learn about how these organs work together to ensure the body is ready for reproduction.
19. Ovulation to Implantation: Oocyte's Path through Uterine Tubes
Follow the female's egg as it leaves the ovary and travels down the uterine tube on its way to the uterus - all with hopes of meeting up with a male's sperm along the way.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Biology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Science Basics Lesson Plans
- History of Life on Earth Lesson Plans
- Evolution Theory Lesson Plans
- Inorganic Chemistry Review Lesson Plans
- Organic Chemistry Review Lesson Plans
- Enzymatic Biochemistry Lesson Plans
- Cell Biology Lesson Plans
- Biological Systems Requirements Lesson Plans
- Cell Division Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Biochemistry Lesson Plans
- DNA & RNA Overview Lesson Plans
- The DNA Process Replication Lesson Plans
- The Transcription & Translation Process Lesson Plans
- Genetics & Heredity Lesson Plans
- Genetic Mutations Lesson Plans
- Taxonomy Lesson Plans
- Plant Biology Lesson Plans
- Plant Reproduction & Growth Lesson Plans
- Animal Reproduction & Development Lesson Plans
- The Circulatory & Musculoskeletal Systems Lesson Plans
- The Nervous & Endocrine Systems Lesson Plans
- Ecology Overview Lesson Plans
- Animal Behavior Lessons Plans
- Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- Scientific Data Analysis Lesson Plans
- Biology Laboratory Lesson Plans