About This Chapter
The Rise of Christianity - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Study the influences, persecution, and eventual ascension of early Christianity with the lessons in this chapter. Discover the origins of Christianity's roots and follow its journey from Roman suppression to eventual acceptance. This chapter's lessons are designed to help you:
- Understand Christianity's early philosophical influences
- Become familiar with how the life of Jesus of Nazareth contributed to the advancement of Christianity
- Know the events surrounding the Romans' eventual forcing of Jews out of Jerusalem
- Understand the relevance of Constantine's conversion to Christianity
- Recognize the pope's role in early Christianity
|Christianity's Roots: Paganism, Judaism, Neoplatonism, and Roman Mystery Cults||Understand the influences that formed the basis for Christianity from traditions such as Judaism, Paganism, and Neoplatonism.|
|Jesus of Nazareth||Explore the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth and their influence on the rise of Christianity.|
|Rebellion of Roman Rule in Judea||Learn about Jewish opposition, both peaceful and rebellious, to the Roman rule in Judea.|
|Romans Force Jews Out of Jerusalem||Articulate the series of events that culminated in the Romans forcing Jews to leave Jerusalem.|
|Christianity Continues to Flourish and Gains Roman Acceptance||Explore the emergence and acceptance of Christianity even amidst Roman persecution.|
|The Conversion of Constantine and the Ascent of Christianity||Learn about Constantine's conversion to Christianity and how Christianity transitioned from a suppressed entity to the official religion of the state.|
|The Early Christian Church||Know the history of the development of the Christian Church and its usefulness in organizing the religion's people and practices.|
|The Pope in Early Christianity||Understand the development of the position of pope and its early responsibilities.|
|The Byzantine Church||Learn the features, inner workings, and conflicts of the Byzantine Church.|
1. Jesus of Nazareth: Events, Life & Teachings
In this lesson, we explore the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, explain a few of the problems with arriving at a clear picture of Jesus, and discuss the facts as we know them.
2. Roman Expulsion of Judaism: Factors, Background, & Events
In this lesson, we explore what life was like for Jews during the early era of the Roman Empire, leading up to the first century expulsion of the Jews from Rome.
3. The Conversion of Constantine and the Ascent of Christianity
This lesson will explain the conversion of Constantine and the ascent of Christianity. In doing this, it will highlight the Edict of Milan and the famous Council of Nicaea.
4. The Early Christian Church and Its Ties to Judaism
This lesson will explore the early Christian Church and its close connection to Judaism. It will highlight the similarities of these two faiths in reference to the Holy Scriptures while also exploring their disagreement over the person of Jesus Christ.
5. Growth of Early Christianity in Rome
In this lesson, we explore the experiences of early Christians under the Roman Empire, from their early periods of toleration and persecution to the conversion of Emperor Constantine.
6. The Pope in Early Christianity
In this lesson, we explore the gradual transformation of the early Christian church in Rome, and specifically its bishop, into the incredibly powerful papacy of today.
7. The Byzantine Church: Characteristics, Empire & Icons
In this lesson, we explore the Christian Church in the Byzantine Empire, and the history of the issues the bishop in Constantinople had with other Christian bishops, especially in Rome.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the World History: High School course
- Early World Civilizations
- Early Near East Civilizations
- Early Chinese Civilization
- Early Indian Civilization
- History of the Ancient Greeks
- History of The Roman Republic
- History of the Fall of Rome
- Timeline of the Early Middle Ages
- The Medieval Warm Period
- Timeline of the High Middle Ages
- Eurasia and the Great Dynastic Empires
- The Late Middle Ages
- History of The European Renaissance
- The Reformation Across Europe
- The Age of Exploration
- The Enlightenment & World Revolutions
- World War I
- Between the World Wars
- World War II
- Europe, Asia, the Middle East & Africa Post-War
- The Cold War
- Latin America Since 1900
- The 21st Century