About This Chapter
The Risk of Eating Disorders to Nutrition
In this chapter, you will find an overview of the different types of eating disorders and the causes of each. You can learn how eating disorders have been viewed historically and how they are viewed at the present time. This chapter also covers risk factors for eating disorders and differences across cultures. Ways of preventing eating disorders as well as warning signs that signal a need for action will be addressed. And current approaches to treating eating disorders are also examined.
You'll also learn about the role of the media in the development of eating disorders and the social pressures that create a milieu in which eating disorders can flourish. As you work your way through the material in the chapter, you'll have a more complete appreciation of the multiple factors that contribute to these potentially lethal disorders. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Detail risk factors, causes, and current treatments for anorexia nervosa
- Identify bulimia nervosa and its unique characteristics as well as prognostic factors
- Recognize binge eating disorder and its hallmarks
- Define and discuss obesity, its causes and treatments
- Discuss night eating syndrome
- Identify female athlete triad
- Explain the causes of eating disorders
- Describe methods to reduce the development of eating disorders as well as warning signs and prevention strategies
Our learning strategies will have you view appealing video lessons that simplify the material and break it down into manageable units. These video lessons are taught by instructors who are subject-matter experts. You'll take self-assessment quizzes to determine how much you've learned and review lesson transcripts. If you want to review something in the video without watching the whole lesson, you'll find convenient timelines that enable you to quickly access the information you seek.
1. Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) & Eating Disorders: Definition & Types
Many of us have something about our appearance that we'd like to change, but for some people these desires can develop into actual disorders. How are body dysmorphic disorder and eating disorders related? This lesson gives you a closer look at these disorders and the impact they can have on people.
2. What is Anorexia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores what anorexia nervosa is and why it is so dangerous. It covers common symptoms seen in children who may develop anorexia as well as what anorexia will do to those who suffer from it.
3. What is Bulimia Nervosa? - Definition, Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis
This lesson explores bulimia as well as challenges many common misconceptions of bulimia. Specifically, this lesson describes the diagnostic requirements, the subtypes, and the treatments known to help with bulimia.
4. Binge Eating Disorder and Obesity: Definition, Discussion and Treatment
Binge-eating disorders are difficult to confront, but can be relatively easy to treat. This lesson explores some of the causes and issues related to binge-eating disorder, as well as to obesity in general.
5. Night Eating Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
We all enjoy an occasional midnight snack, but for someone suffering from night eating syndrome, late night eating happens on a regular basis and makes up 25% or more of their daily caloric intake. Learn about the causes, risks and treatments in this lesson.
6. Female Athlete Triad: Definition & Treatment
For some female athletes, working out and dieting too hard can lead to health problems. Learn about the female athlete triad, a condition associated with disordered eating, amenorrhea and osteoporosis in active girls and women, in this lesson.
7. What Causes Eating Disorders? - Risk Factors and Cultural Perspectives
This lesson takes a broad look at the causes of eating disorders. In addition, this lesson looks at what causes individuals to face higher or lower incidence rates of eating disorders.
8. Reducing Eating Disorder Development: Warning Signs & Prevention
Eating disorders are easier to prevent than to cure. Learn how to identify warning signs in the early stages to allow for early intervention and even the prevention of common eating disorders, like anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa, in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS): Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Fundamental Principles of Nutrition
- Life Cycle Stages & Nutrition
- Energy Balance & The Body
- The Chemical Composition of Nutrients
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Nutrition-Related Physiology
- Digestion & Nutrient Absorption
- Metabolism of Nutrients
- Carbohydrates in Health & Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Lipids in Health & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Minerals in Health & Nutrition
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- Meeting Nutrient Requirements
- Nutritional Assessment
- Clinical Intervention & Monitoring
- Drug & Nutrient Interactions
- Dietary Therapeutics & Behavior Optimization
- Professional Issues in Nutrition
- Certified Nutrition Specialist Flashcards