About This Chapter
The Role of Nurse Aides - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will have the opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of the nursing process, nursing principles, intervention methods and ethics both in general and as they pertain to nurse aides. Lessons include definitions and real-life examples to help you fully understand each of the concepts discussed.
You will study ways in which nurse aides interact with patients, keep records, collaborate with other healthcare professionals, implement planning procedures and more. After you have thoroughly reviewed this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define the clinical and administrative duties of a nurse aide and types and roles of health provider staff
- Explain the collaborative efforts of physicians, nurses and other professionals in patient-centered care
- Provide details about the Health Continuum
- Relate the steps of the nursing process
- Describe time management, goal setting and work prioritization processes in nursing
- Note how nurses communicate with patients and maintain patient records
- Define nursing intervention and explain nursing ethics and values
- Discuss Individualized Health Care Plans, the health care planning process and the nurse aide registry
Each lesson offers 24/7 accessibility and expert instruction in short and engaging video and text formats. Lesson transcripts can be printed for quick reference if needed. Take brief self-assessment quizzes to determine how much you have retained about each topic as you move from one lesson to the next. Use your Dashboard to track your progress and contact instructors via an easy online form if you have any questions regarding these lessons.
1. Nurse Aide: Definition & Duties
Nurse aides are a valuable asset to the care of patients in many different settings. In this lesson, we will learn about the duties of a nurse aide and how to become one.
2. Health Care Provider Staff: Types & Roles
In this lesson, we'll review a few of the different types of healthcare providers. We'll briefly discuss what their roles are and what communication skills are needed in providing care and support to patients and families.
3. Interprofessional Communication & Collaboration in Healthcare
When healthcare teams work together, everyone benefits. In this lesson, you'll find out how to use effective communication to manage conflicts and support patient care within the interprofessional team.
4. Understanding the Health Continuum: A Guide for Nurses
We all want what's best for our patients. Utilizing the health continuum can help us achieve this. Learn about what this means and how you can accomplish it in your own practice.
5. Nursing Process: Purpose and Steps
The nursing process is a series of organized steps designed for nurses to provide excellent care. Learn the five phases, including assessing, diagnosing, planning, implementing, and evaluating.
6. Time Management & Work Prioritization in Nursing
This lesson covers the role of a nurses aide when it comes to time management and work prioritization. Several strategies are discussed to assist the nurse aide in this role within the healthcare team.
7. Goal Setting in Nursing
Goal setting in nursing provides direction for planning nursing interventions and evaluating patient progress. Learn how to create measurable, patient-oriented nursing goal statements.
8. Principles of Recording in Nursing
Proper record keeping is an important aspect of patient care. A patient record is a permanent document that chronicles a patient's care history. Learn why record keeping is important and the principles of record keeping in the nursing profession.
9. Principles of Communication in Nursing
How important is effective communication in the world of nursing? This lesson will go over the different types of communication and how they relate to nursing and other areas of healthcare.
10. Ethics and Values in Nursing
Many professions have their own code of ethics, including nursing. This lesson will walk you through the nine provisions within the nursing code of ethics and how to interpret these in your own practices.
11. What Is Nursing Intervention? - Definition & Examples
Let's learn more about nursing interventions. In this lesson, we will cover the definition, the classifications and the different types of interventions that are available in the nursing profession.
12. Creating Individualized Health Care Plans (IHCP)
Society is trending towards health care methods that cater to the individual. In this lesson we will explore the importance of developing health care plans that are unique for every patient in order to achieve optimal health results.
13. Health Care Planning Process: Function & Member Roles
Nurse aids function as an important part in the care planning and implementation process. Read this lesson to learn more about the interdisciplinary team and how nurse aids help accomplish team goals.
14. Nurse Aide Registry: Purpose & Components
What is the Nurse Aide Registry? What are the requirements? This lesson goes over the needed courses, exams, and how to maintain good standing with the Nurse Aide Registry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Florida Prometric CNA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication in Nursing
- Safety for Nurses
- Basic Hygiene for Nurses
- Asepsis & Infection Control in Nursing
- Patient Injuries & Infections
- Emergency Situations in Nursing
- Emergency Care & Procedures
- Personal Care in Nursing
- Circulation & Skin Integrity Concerns in Nursing
- Nutrition Basics for Nurses
- Understanding Fluid & Electrolyte Balance in Nursing
- Understanding Rest & Sleep in Nursing
- Elimination Overview for Nurses
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Psychosocial Concerns in Nursing
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Physical Impairments
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management in Nursing
- Mental Health Concepts
- The Aging Process
- End of Life Care