About This Chapter
The Role of Technology in STEM in Education - Chapter Summary
Our instructors have put this chapter together to fully explain the role of technology and how it can be used to benefit education in STEM classrooms. This chapter covers several topics, and some of those include:
- Classroom assessment to determine technology needs
- Activity ideas to emphasize student technology training
- Technology uses for different grade levels
- The progression of technology in education and where it's going
Our lessons are available around the clock, and we keep everything on one website that is user-friendly and easy to navigate. You can access our teaching resources whenever it fits your schedule, whether you prep in between classes, on weekends, late at night, or any other time. Since everything we offer is online, you can even access our lessons on your classroom computer and use them as a teaching aid during classes.
How It Helps
- Inspires new ideas: You'll learn about the importance of technology in STEM classes, and you will go over activity ideas that you can easily incorporate in your own classroom.
- Increases teacher resources: By gaining a better understanding of the benefits of technology in the classroom, you will be more equipped to choose appropriate technology, as well as advocate for the purchasing of additional technology at your school site.
- Enhances teacher excitement: Not all teachers are comfortable using technology, but these lessons show you step-by-step approaches of how to use the technology and incorporate it seamlessly into your regular curriculum.
By completing this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe the history of how technology has been used in education
- Understand the significant impact technology has on the classroom
- Identify key examples of classroom technology
- Define the effects technology has on classroom learning
- Evaluate the usefulness of activities that incorporate technology
- Explain the tech selection process for special needs students
- Integrate responsible digital citizenship lessons in the classroom
- Improve student comprehension of technology ethics
- Compare the use of technology in kindergarten, middle school, and high school classrooms
- Establish potential trends of future classroom technology
1. The History of Technology in Education
In this lesson, we are going to look at technology in education and how it has changed over the past 40 years. We'll look at the earliest forms of technology, where we are today, and what technology will look like in the future.
2. The Importance of Technology in the Classroom
Technology has become an integral part of any classroom environment. This lesson will explain why technology is an important tool that every student and teacher should utilize.
3. Examples of Technology in the Classroom
Technology is becoming more present and useful in the classroom. This lesson will provide some examples of technology in the classroom and how it can assist student learning.
4. Effects of Technology in the Classroom
In this lesson, you will explore how technology provides effectiveness in the classroom setting. Be prepared to embrace how teachers and students are learning with the use of technology!
5. Selecting Appropriate Technology for Special Needs Students
How many of us enjoy using technology such as Google Drive or iPads? Did you know that these tools can benefit students with special needs? There are many more options as well. In this lesson, we will give pointers on selecting technology.
6. Digital Citizenship: Teaching Responsible Use of Technology
Students become digital citizens at a very young age as they learn to use more digital devices. This lesson provides you with tips and strategies for helping your students become responsible digital citizens.
7. Technology Ethics in the Classroom
The accessibility of information through technology is endless. In the classroom, students and teachers must follow ethical guidelines for appropriate use. In this lesson, you'll learn what some of the expectations are and how to use them.
8. Technology in the Kindergarten Classroom
Using technology in a kindergarten classroom is not only a fun addition to students' learning process but also a very vital and valuable part of education. This lesson can give you more ideas how to implement technology into your everyday teaching.
9. Technology in the Middle School Classroom
How has technology changed the way middle school classrooms function? Is this technology really impacting student learning? In this lesson, we will explore some ways that technology can be used in the middle school classroom and how it impacts student learning.
10. Technology in the High School Classroom
While technology such as the internet and smart phones can be a distraction to teens, these advancements can be used to change the way we teach and learn. In this lesson, we will explore common technology used in high school classrooms and learn about the impact of said technology.
11. Future Technology in the Classroom
Future technology will ultimately move students outside classroom walls. No learners will be bound by physical address or time of day, and experiential learning will be the rule, not the exception. The possibilities are limitless.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Understanding & Applying STEM Education in the Classroom course