About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Romantic Period in Music chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Characteristics of Romantic Era music||Emotion and dynamic contrast|
|Tuesday||Nationalism in Romantic Era Music||Musical expression of heritage and national pride|
|Wednesday||Connections between Romantic music and visual art||How music and visual art of the period complemented each other|
|Thursday||Major Romantic Era composers;|
Beethoven, Chopin, Paganini, Rossini
|A look at works by important composers including Beethoven, Brahms, Berlioz, Strauss;|
The Italian Romantic composers
|Friday||Wagner, Schubert, Schumann|
Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Mussorgsky
|Romantic composers in Germany;|
Romantic composers from Eastern Europe
1. Characteristics of Romantic Era Music: Emotion & Dynamic Contrast
This lesson gives a brief snapshot of two popular Romantic era trends: highly emotional music and dynamic contrast. Learn why composers liked using these techniques and how they were able to incorporate them into their music.
2. Nationalism in Romantic Music: Heritage & Pride of Romantic Composers
Nationalism was a popular sentiment during the Romantic era and appeared in all art forms of the day, including music. This lesson will introduce you to some of the biggest nationalist composers of the Romantic era.
3. Connections Between Romantic Music and Art
Romanticism was a 19th-century European movement that affected virtually all facets of the creative and performing arts. Learn about the connections between Romantic music and visual arts in this lesson.
4. Romantic Era Composers: Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Tchaikovsky & More
This lesson is like a 'Who's Who' of Romantic era composers. Learn about some of the most influential composers of European Romantic era and what makes them noteworthy.
5. Paganini & Rossini: Italian Romantic Composers
Study of the Romantic era wouldn't be complete without taking a detour to the land of love and romance, Italy. This lesson looks at two famous Romantic era composers who were born and raised in Italy: violin virtuoso Niccolo Paganini and opera composer Gioachino Rossini.
6. Wagner, Schubert & Schumann: German Romantic Composers
German-speaking composers dominated the European musical scene for centuries. This lesson looks at three very different Germanic composers from the Romantic era and explores some of their best-known works.
7. Tchaikovsky, Chopin & Mussorgsky: Eastern European Romantic Composers
If you want to explore the lives and careers of major Romantic-era composers from the eastern side of Europe, this is the lesson for you! Learn more about Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Frederic Chopin, and Modest Mussorgsky.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Humanities Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Literary Terms & Techniques Lesson Plans
- Literary Time Periods Lesson Plans
- Literature of the Middle Ages Lesson Plans
- The English Renaissance Lesson Plans
- Victorian Era Literature Lesson Plans
- British Romanticism Lesson Plans
- Romantic Poetry Lesson Plans
- Literary Modernism Lesson Plans
- 20th Century British Literature Lesson Plans
- World Literature: Drama Lesson Plans
- Poetry of the Ancient & Modern Worlds Lesson Plans
- Prominent American Novelists Lesson Plans
- Philosophy & Nonfiction Lesson Plans
- History of Visual Art Lesson Plans
- History of Architecture Lesson Plans
- Elements of Music Lesson Plans
- Opera & Orchestral Music Lesson Plans
- Medieval Music Lesson Plans
- Renaissance Music Lesson Plans
- The Baroque Period in Music Lesson Plans
- The Classical Period in Music Lesson Plans
- Modern Era Music Lesson Plans
- Jazz Music Lesson Plans
- Musical Theater & Popular Music Lesson Plans
- World Music Lesson Plans
- Introduction to the Performing Arts Lesson Plans