About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering chapter summaries of The Scarlet Letter will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to understand the key components of each chapter in this novel. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing what happens in each chapter of The Scarlet Letter
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual and auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Scarlet Letter Chapter Summaries chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Scarlet Letter Chapter Summaries chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the specific events that occurred in each chapter of The Scarlet Letter for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Summation of the Custom House
- Overview of the book climax
- Detailed synopsis of chapters 1-24
1. The Custom House in The Scarlet Letter: Summary
'The Custom House' serves as a very long introduction to Nathaniel Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter.'' 'The Custom House' gives Hawthorne a chance to introduce and express himself as well as his story.
2. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 1 Summary
This lesson is a summary of chapter 1 from Nathaniel Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter''. It also includes a brief overview of the historical context of the setting as well as a condensed analysis of important themes in the chapter.
3. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 2 Summary
Hawthorne continues to introduce the major themes of the novel, including human fragility, repentance, sin, and nature versus religion and law, in the second chapter. Read on for a summary of chapter two of Nathaniel Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter.''
4. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 3 Summary
This lesson is a summary of Chapter three from Nathaniel Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter''. The lesson also includes a brief review of the events leading to Chapter three and a summary of the lesson itself.
5. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 4 Summary
This lesson is a summary of Chapter 4 from Nathaniel Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter''. The lesson also includes a brief overview of events leading to chapter four as well as a summary of the lesson.
6. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 5 Summary
This is a summary of Chapter 5 from Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter''. The lesson also contains a brief overview of events leading to this chapter and a lesson overview.
7. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 6 Summary
In Chapter 6 of ''The Scarlet Letter'', we discover Hester Prynne's thoughts and worries about her daughter Pearl. The little girl not only is an outcast in their town, but also behaves strangely with her mother - so oddly at times, that even her own mother finds Pearl's actions unsettling.
8. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 7 Summary
In Chapter 7 of ''The Scarlet Letter,'' we find that Hester plans to speak with Governor Bellingham about her daughter. Hester has learned that some of Boston's leading citizens want Pearl taken from her mother.
9. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 8 Summary
This lesson is a summary of chapter eight from Hawthorne's 'The Scarlet Letter.' The lesson includes an overview of events leading to this chapter as well as a discussion of some important allusions and themes. There is also a brief lesson summary.
10. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 9 Summary
''The Scarlet Letter'' tells the story of Hester Prynne, a Puritan woman forced to pay for her sins. But Hester, her husband, and the Reverend Dimmesdale all have secrets to keep.
11. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 10 Summary
In ''The Scarlet Letter'', Hester wears her shame publicly as the letter 'A'. Others, such as Dimmesdale, have to bear guilt secretly. As seen in chapter 10, this is often a much worse fate.
12. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 11 Summary
'The Scarlet Letter' tells the story of sin, confession, pain and truth in 1700s Puritan Boston. Chapter 11 dives deeper in the relationship of Chillingworth and the Reverend.
13. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 12 Summary
In Chapter 12 of Nathaniel Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter'', Arthur Dimmesdale tries to find a way to relieve himself of the burden of guilt he's been carrying around for so many years. The lesson begins with a brief review of events leading to this chapter.
14. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 13 Summary
This lesson is a summary of Chapter 13 of Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter''. The lesson also contains a brief review of events leading to Chapter 13, which focuses on the Hester's increasing despondency and her changed status in the eyes of the townspeople.
15. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 14 Summary
Hester Prynne and Roger Chillingworth both undergo personal changes in Chapter 14 of The Scarlet Letter. These changes affect not only themselves but also the people around them.
16. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 15 Summary
In Chapter 15 of ''The Scarlet Letter'', Hester Prynne examines how she feels about Roger Chillingworth, her husband. Hester also analyzes how her daughter has begun to mature, and how she can confront some of Pearl's curiosity.
17. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 16 Summary
Chapter 16 of ''The Scarlet Letter'' is set in the forest where Hester Prynne goes, accompanied by her daughter Pearl, hoping to meet Arthur Dimmesdale. While in the forest, Hester and Pearl use their imaginations to pass the time as they wait for the minister to appear.
18. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 17 Summary
Hester Prynne and the Reverend Dimmesdale reach a turning point in their relationship in chapter 17 of The Scarlet Letter. What will become of their relationship is yet to come.
19. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 18 Summary
In chapter 18 of Nathaniel Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter'', the plot takes an exciting twist when Hester Prynne and the Reverend Arthur Dimmesdale decide their fate. Additionally, they plan for Pearl to meet her father.
20. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 19 Summary
In Chapter 19 of Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter'', Hester and the Reverend Dimmesdale finally feel a weight lifted off their shoulders with their decision to leave the colony and live as a family with Pearl.
21. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 20 Summary
In Chapter 20 of Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, Hester Prynne and the Reverend Dimmesdale feel renewed and excited as they wait out their plans to leave for Europe.
22. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 21 Summary
After making plans with the Reverend Dimmesdale to leave for Europe, Hester Prynne learns some news that could change everything and ruin their chance of starting a new life.
23. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 22 Summary
The news of Chillingworth's accompaniment on the boat to England shatters Hester's dreams of starting over with Dimmesdale. She begins to wonder if everything is too good to be true, including Dimmesdale.
24. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 23 Summary
In chapter 23 of Hawthorne's 'The Scarlet Letter,' Dimmesdale delivers his most powerful sermon ever, and then makes a choice that will forever change his fate, as well as Hester and Pearl's.
25. The Scarlet Letter Chapter 24 Summary
Chapter 24 concludes Hawthorne's novel ''The Scarlet Letter''. This chapter serves as an epilogue, discussing what happens to Chillingworth, Pearl, and Hester Prynne after Dimmesdale dies.
26. Climax of The Scarlet Letter
In Nathaniel Hawthorne's ''The Scarlet Letter,'' three different plot threads are woven throughout the story. The point at which these three things converge and crescendo is called the climax. Let's take a closer look!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.