About This Chapter
The Short Stories of Guy de Maupassant - Chapter Summary
This series of bite-sized literature lessons explores several short stories written by Guy de Maupassant. Inside the chapter, you'll find simple and engaging explanations of the literary elements from ''The Necklace,'' ''The Piece of String'' and more. Be sure to take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to take away the most important information from the chapter. You can access the chapter material at any time, and when you're finished, you should be equipped to:
- Analyze the themes from ''The Necklace'' and describe its setting
- Summarize and analyze ''The Piece of String''
- Evaluate the characters, setting, themes and irony from ''The Piece of String''
1. The Necklace Setting
This lesson will present the details of setting in 'The Necklace' by Guy de Maupassant. We will explore how Maupassant masterfully layered in hints to help the reader connect to the main setting of the story.
2. The Necklace: Theme & Analysis
While it's okay to wish for more, sometimes it's important to stop and reflect on all that you currently have in your life. In this lesson, we will analyze the themes in 'The Necklace' by Guy de Maupassant and learn about a couple that ends up losing it all for one night of bliss.
3. The Piece of String: Themes & Analysis
In 'The Piece of String' by Guy de Maupassant, a peasant's life is destroyed after he finds and picks up a little piece of string. In this lesson, we'll examine the themes from this short story.
4. The Piece of String Summary
Guy de Maupassant's 'The Piece of String' is a story about a false accusation and the irony that attempting to prove one's innocence might be the thing that makes one look the most guilty.
5. The Piece of String Character Analysis
In this lesson, we'll examine the characters from 'The Piece of String.' Written by Guy de Maupassant, this short story is about a man who is falsely accused of theft, which leads to some tragic consequences.
6. The Piece of String Setting
In this lesson we will explore how the small-town setting in 'The Piece of String' affected the main conflict, allowing everyone to quickly pass around a false story and embarrass the main character.
7. The Piece of String Irony
In this lesson, we will look at how dramatic irony is used in literature. We will particularly look at how dramatic irony is used in Guy de Maupassant's short story 'The Piece of String.'
8. Two Friends by Guy de Maupassant: Summary & Analysis
Guy de Maupassant's 'Two Friends' tells of two men who oppose violence so much, they enter a war zone to go fishing. In this lesson, you'll explore this story, the author's comments on war, French bravery, and German stereotypes.
9. The Jewelry by Guy de Maupassant: Summary, Themes & Analysis
In this lesson, we will summarize the short story 'The Jewelry' by Guy De Maupassant. Furthermore, we will examine the theme that things are not always as they seem. Then you can test your knowledge with a quiz!
10. My Uncle Jules: Summary & Analysis
Guy de Maupassant is a novelist and short story writer who specializes in surprise, irony, and tragedy. 'My Uncle Jules' is no exception. In this lesson, we'll summarize and analyze the events in this short story.
11. Mademoiselle Fifi: Summary & Analysis
'Mademoiselle Fifi' is about a young French woman's bold defiance of a brutish Prussian soldier during the Franco-Prussian War. We'll summarize and analyze this gritty short story by Guy de Maupassant.
12. Maupassant's An Old Man: Summary & Characters
This lesson summarizes the story of 'An Old Man,' by French author Guy Maupassant. We will learn about the plot and themes of this shorter-than-short story, and what Maupassant intended to convey through his characters.
13. Maupassant's Moonlight: Summary & Analysis
'Moonlight' by Guy de Maupassant is an interesting short story about a woman confiding in her sister about being unfaithful to her husband. In this lesson, you will read a summary of this story as well as an analysis.
14. Maupassant's The Umbrella: Summary & Theme
In this lesson, you 'll take a look at 'The Umbrella,' one of Guy de Maupassant's well-known short stories. In addition, we'll explore the overarching theme of the story.
15. Maupassant's The Wolf: Summary & Analysis
In this lesson, you'll be provided with a summary of Guy de Maupassant's short story, The Wolf, as well as looking at a basic analysis of the story's structure and purpose.
16. Maupassant's The Blind Man: Summary & Characters
In this lesson, you will learn about Guy de Maupassant's short story, ~'The Blind Man~'. First, you will see a summary of the story followed by a discussion of the characters.
17. Maupassant's A Family: Summary & Analysis
If you are reading 'A Family' by Maupassant, you may be wondering what it all means and what really happens. In this lesson, we will go over the main events and offer an analysis of the story.
18. Guy de Maupassant: Biography, Quotes & Facts
Guy de Maupassant was a French writer who wrote during the nineteenth century and is considered one of the most famous French writers. In this lesson, we will learn all about Guy de Maupassant's life.
19. The Adopted Son: Summary & Characters
In this lesson you will learn about Guy de Maupassant's short story 'The Adopted Son.' We will look at a summary of the work as well as information about the characters.
20. Boule de Suif by Maupassant: Summary & Characters
In this lesson, we will learn about the context, plot, and characters in Guy de Maupassant's short story ''Boule de Suif.'' After gathering some important information about circumstances in France during the Franco-German War, we will follow ten French travelers on their journey from Rouen to Le Havre.
21. A Vendetta by Maupassant: Setting & Summary
In this lesson we will take a closer look at ''A Vendetta'' by Guy de Maupassant. In addition to going over a summary, we will discuss the setting and the role it plays in the story.
22. Two Friends by Maupassant: Setting & Symbolism
In this lesson, we will look at two specific aspects of Guy de Maupassant's short story 'Two Friends.' You will learn about the setting, as well as symbolism in the story.
23. Two Friends by Maupassant: Characters & Themes
Guy de Maupassant's short story 'Two Friends' is a fascinating tale. In this lesson, you will look at it more in depth by exploring the characters and themes of the story.
24. The Necklace: Mathilde Loisel Characterization & Quotes
This lesson will discuss how Mathilde Loisel is directly and indirectly characterized through her description, speech, and actions in Guy de Maupassant's short story 'The Necklace.'
25. The Necklace: Madame Forestier Character Analysis
In this lesson we will take an in-depth look at the character of Madame Forestier in Guy de Maupassant's short story ~'The Necklace.~' You will also learn about her role in the story.
26. The Necklace: Monsieur Loisel Characterization & Quotes
How far would you go to make your significant other happy? In this lesson, we will analyze the character Monsieur Loisel from the short story 'The Necklace,' by Guy de Maupassant, and learn what a husband will do out of love.
27. Point of View in Maupassant's The Necklace
In this lesson we will take a look at the point of view in Guy de Maupassant's short story, '''The Necklace.'' In addition, you will learn about the four different literary points of view.
28. The Necklace: Symbolism & Irony
In this lesson, we're going to look in depth at two literary devices used in Guy de Maupassant's short story 'The Necklace.' These devices are symbolism and irony.
29. The Horla by Guy De Maupassant: Summary & Analysis
Is anyone watching you? Are you sure? In the story, ''The Horla,'' the narrator certainly isn't. In this lesson, we'll take a closer look at a summary and analysis of this horror story that plays with one man's mind.
30. Guy de Maupassant's An Uncomfortable Bed: Summary & Analysis
Ever created the very problem you were trying to avoid? If so, you're a whole lot like the narrator of our story, ''An Uncomfortable Bed.'' In this lesson, you'll learn more about the tale and the consequences that ensue for the narrator.
31. Boule de Suif by Guy de Maupassant: Analysis & Themes
In this lesson, we will analyze the short story 'Boule de Suif' by Guy de Maupassant. Further, we will examine the themes of moral relativism and social order from this story.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Short Stories: Study Guide & Homework Help course
- Studying The Lady or the Tiger
- The Short Stories of Washington Irving
- The Short Stories of Saki
- The Short Stories of Katherine Mansfield
- The Short Stories of Anton Chekhov
- Studying Desiree's Baby
- Studying The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky
- Studying The Yellow Wallpaper
- Studying The Brass Teapot
- Studying Death by Scrabble
- The Short Stories of Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Short Stories of Joseph Conrad
- The Short Stories of Jack London
- The Short Stories of Edith Wharton
- The Short Stories of Ambrose Bierce
- Short Stories by Genre
- Short Stories Summary & Analysis
- The Short Stories of Kate Chopin
- The Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe
- The Short Stories of Nathaniel Hawthorne
- The Short Stories of Thomas Hardy
- The Short Stories of Mark Twain