About This Chapter
The Short Stories of Joseph Conrad - Chapter Summary
Take a look at this series of engaging literature lessons to study the short stories of Joseph Conrad. Our expert English instructors help you analyze Conrad's ''The Lagoon'' and evaluate the literary devices that Conrad uses in his stories. Work through the chapter at your own pace, and take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to make sure you fully understand the chapter's literary concepts. Our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. Upon completion of the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Summarize and analyze Joseph Conrad's ''The Lagoon''
- Evaluate Conrad's use of themes and symbolism in ''The Lagoon''
- Discuss the characters and setting of ''The Lagoon''
1. The Lagoon by Joseph Conrad Summary
First published in 1897, ''The Lagoon'' tells the story of two friends catching up over a fire. In this lesson, we'll summarize Joseph Conrad's story that is both touching and heartbreaking.
2. The Lagoon: Themes & Analysis
Joseph Conrad's short story ''The Lagoon'' deals with themes of love, loyalty, betrayal, and remorse. This lesson examines how these themes are used in the story.
3. The Lagoon by Joseph Conrad Symbolism
Even the title of 'The Lagoon' has meaning in this Joseph Conrad short story. In this lesson, we'll focus on the symbolism present between the two friends, confronted with a heartbreaking secret and a dying woman.
4. The Lagoon by Joseph Conrad Setting
What is it about the setting that helps us better grasp a story? In this lesson, you'll learn more about the setting of ''The Lagoon'' and how it impacts the events and mood of Joseph Conrad's story.
5. The Lagoon Characters & Analysis
When two friends meet up after a period of absence, secrets come tumbling out! In this lesson, we'll take a closer look at the main characters of Joseph Conrad's ''The Lagoon'' and get some insight into their roles.
6. Amy Foster by Joseph Conrad: Summary, Characters & Analysis
'Amy Foster' is a story of isolation and acceptance (or lack thereof). In this lesson, we'll dive into the story, the characters and the ideas that author Joseph Conrad was trying to convey in this tale.
7. The Secret Sharer: Summary & Setting
Some secrets are tiny while others are living and breathing! In this lesson, we'll find out the secret being kept by the captain in 'The Secret Sharer.' You'll also learn more about the setting of this tale.
8. The Secret Sharer: Character Analysis & Quotes
In this lesson, we will examine the characters of Joseph Conrad's short story 'The Secret Sharer.' This is the story of an insecure ship's captain who finds confidence by hiding a chief mate accused of murder on another ship.
9. The Secret Sharer: Themes & Symbols
In this lesson, we will examine some of the themes and symbols from Joseph Conrad's short story 'The Secret Sharer.' In this story, a lonely, insecure ship captain relates to an escaped murderer who seeks refuge on his ship.
10. The Secret Sharer: Analysis, Title Significance & Criticism
In this lesson, we will analyze the short story 'The Secret Sharer' by Joseph Conrad. This is the story of an inexperienced, insecure ship's captain who encounters a fugitive.
11. Summary of The Shadow Line by Joseph Conrad
In Joseph Conrad's ''The Shadow Line'', the author explores the passage to manhood. In this lesson, you will learn of the challenges, both psychological and situational, that challenge a young captain in his first ship command.
12. The Shadow Line by Joseph Conrad: Theme & Analysis
Joseph Conrad's novella ''The Shadow Line'' explores the crossing of a young man into adulthood and all the responsibilities that come with it. In this lesson, you will learn about the themes Conrad employs at the heart of this story.
13. Almayer's Folly: Summary & Characters
In this lesson, we will summarize the novel 'Almayer's Folly' by Joseph Conrad through character descriptions. This is a story of an unsuccessful European businessman living in the jungles of Borneo with his Malayan wife and their daughter.
14. Analysis of Almayer's Folly by Joseph Conrad
In this lesson, we will analyze the novel 'Almayer's Folly' by Joseph Conrad. This is a story about a family who is impacted by European influence in Southeast Asia.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Short Stories: Study Guide & Homework Help course
- The Short Stories of Guy de Maupassant
- Studying The Lady or the Tiger
- The Short Stories of Washington Irving
- The Short Stories of Saki
- The Short Stories of Katherine Mansfield
- The Short Stories of Anton Chekhov
- Studying Desiree's Baby
- Studying The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky
- Studying The Yellow Wallpaper
- Studying The Brass Teapot
- Studying Death by Scrabble
- The Short Stories of Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Short Stories of Jack London
- The Short Stories of Edith Wharton
- The Short Stories of Ambrose Bierce
- Short Stories by Genre
- Short Stories Summary & Analysis
- The Short Stories of Kate Chopin
- The Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe
- The Short Stories of Nathaniel Hawthorne
- The Short Stories of Thomas Hardy
- The Short Stories of Mark Twain