About This Chapter
The Solar System & The Earth-Moon-Sun Relationship - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter can help you familiarize yourself with the components and characteristics of the solar system. Learn about facts and theories about the relationship between the Earth, moon and sun as well as characteristics of different planets and celestial bodies. Key topics covered in this chapter include:
- The Solar Nebula Theory
- The orbit, visability and characteristics of the planets
- Atmosphere of the sun
- Phases of the moon
- Rotation and revolution of the Earth and its effects
- Asteroids, meteorites and comets
- Gravity and the tides
Use our brief, engaging lessons to help improve your understanding of our solar system. This chapter is broken down into key elements to help you fully understand one concept before moving onto the next. You may test your knowledge with the related quizzes.
1. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
2. The Solar Nebula Theory: Formation of the Solar System
This lesson will go over the theory that explains how the solar system formed, what theory had once competed with it, and what important implication this theory carries.
3. Planets of the Solar System: Orbits & Visibility
This lesson will tell you which planets in our solar system you can see with the naked eye and which ones you cannot. You'll also learn how they appear to move in our sky and why we can see them in the first place.
4. Major Characteristics of Planets in the Solar System
This lesson will go over some characteristics of the planets in our solar system with respect to their masses, diameters, temperatures, densities, and rotation.
5. The Sun: Atmosphere & Facts
This lesson will go over what the three layers of our sun's atmosphere are, the sun's surface temperature, chemical composition, radius, and distance from Earth.
6. Asteroids, Meteorites & Comets: Definitions and Characteristics
This lesson will cover the definitions and characteristics of asteroids, comets and meteorites. It will also explore what impact they have had on Earth and the impact they might have in the future.
7. Effects of the Earth's Rotation & Revolution
This lesson explores the factors that influence seasons, daylight, and temperatures on our planet, including rotation and radiation. At the end, you can test your knowledge with a brief quiz.
8. Moon Phases: Waxing, Waning and Lunar Cycle
This lesson will go over the phases of the moon. The full moon, new moon, waxing, waning, and gibbous phases and the order in which they occur and what they look like are discussed.
9. How Gravity, the Moon & the Sun Influence Tides
This lesson will define tides, the tidal force, neap tide, and spring tide. It will also talk about how the sun, moon, and Earth interact to produce tidal bulges.
10. What is an Eclipse? - Definition & Types
This lesson will explain what an eclipse is and the various types of eclipses, particularly from the vantage point of the earth. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Science Subject Concentration (5159): Practice & Study Guide course
- Scientific Inquiry & Methodology
- Scientific Data Collection & Analysis
- Science Laboratory Equipment & Safety
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Basic Principles of Matter & Energy
- Relationships Between Matter & Energy
- Structure of an Atom
- Interdisciplinary Applications of Energy & Matter
- Impact of Science & Technology on the Environment
- Energy Production & Resource Use
- Science & Technology Used in Everyday Life
- Science & Public Health
- Mechanics in Physics
- Analyzing Motion & Forces
- Electricity & Magnetic Forces
- Wave Characteristics & Phenomena
- Light, Sound & Waves
- Elements & The Periodic Table
- Chemical Bonding & Simple Chemical Compounds
- Interpreting Chemical Formulas
- Matter & Phase Changes
- Balancing & Using Chemical Equations
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Understanding Solutions & Solubility
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Understanding Biochemistry
- Understanding Genetics
- Theory & Mechanisms of Evolution
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Plant Structure & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Basics of Ecology
- Earth's Surface Materials
- Earth's Internal Structure & Processes
- Geologic History
- Earth's Hydrosphere
- Earth's Bodies of Water
- Basics of Meteorology
- Earth's Climate & Seasons
- Galaxies & the Universe
- Space Exploration & Technology
- Pennsylvania Grades 4-8 - Science Subject Concentration Flashcards