About This Chapter
The Soviet Union & The Second World War - Chapter Summary
If you need to review the Soviet Union's role and participation in the Second World War, you're in the right place. Work through this collection of simple and interesting lessons to study Russia's pre-war international relations, its involvement during the war, the Soviet domination of Eastern Europe and the descent of the Iron Curtain after the war. The chapter is available at any time, and each lesson comes with a short self-assessment quiz to help you reinforce your understanding of the information. If you have any questions, you can submit them to our instructors online. These resources are also accessible via any device that has an Internet connection. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe Russia's international relations prior to WWII
- Summarize the history of the Katyn Forest massacre
- Understand the USSR's involvement during WWII
- Explain how WWII impacted Russia and its nationalism
- Assess Eastern Europe's Soviet domination
- Evaluate the recovery strategies in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union
- Trace the descent of the Iron Curtain following WWII
1. Russia & WWII: Pre-War International Relations
In this lesson we will learn about Soviet Russia's pre-World War II international relations. The Soviet Union's relationship with the rest of the world, and especially Western Europe and the United States, varied from isolation to engagement.
2. Katyn Forest Massacre: History & Controversy
In this lesson, you will learn about the horrific Katyn Forest Massacre perpetrated by the Soviet Union during World War II. First, you will learn the details of the event, then you will examine the controversial reactions of allies and enemies alike who concealed the truth about this massacre until 1990.
3. USSR Involvement in World War II
In this lesson, we explore the actions and motives of Joseph Stalin and the Soviet Union during WWII. Learn how the war's results helped spur the 20th century's Cold War.
4. WWII's Impact on Russia & Russian Nationalism
In this lesson, we will explore the Soviet patriotism that exploded throughout the Soviet Union in the aftermath of the World War II. We will identify central elements and themes, and we will discover how Soviet patriotism intersected with society and culture.
5. Soviet Domination of Eastern Europe
In this lesson, we explore the post-World War II settlement of Eastern Europe, and the subsequent Soviet domination of governments in Eastern Europe, as well as the creation of the Warsaw Pact.
6. Recovery Strategies in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe
In this lesson, we will learn about the Soviet Union's strategy for recovery following World War II. We will learn what efforts the Soviet Union took to restore its economic footing, and we will see how the Soviet strategy differed from that of the Western democracies.
7. Post-War Soviet Union & Eastern Europe: The Descent of the Iron Curtain
In this lesson, we will learn about some of the dynamic events that followed World War II in Eastern Europe. We will explore the descent of the Iron Curtain, and learn about the formation of the Eastern Bloc states.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST History of the Soviet Union: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Russian History in 16-18th Century
- Nineteenth Century Russia
- The Russian Revolutionary Period
- Pre-War Stalinism
- Post-War Stalinism & The Cold War
- The Khrushchev Years of the Cold War
- The Brezhnev Years of the Cold War
- Proxy Wars During the Cold War
- Reform & Collapse in the USSR
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST History of the Soviet Union Flashcards