About This Chapter
The Spread & Standardization of Language - Chapter Summary
Our helpful instructors outline the standardization and spread of language in this chapter. Move at your own pace as you study topics including the impact of the printing press, the history of the English language and how colonialism spread languages. Along with each lesson, we've included a short quiz that can help to ensure you've understood what you've learned before moving on to the other lessons. You can get help from one of our experts by submitting any questions that come up through the Dashboard. Once you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
- Detail the development and influences on the history of the English language
- Outline the impact the printing press had on the English language
- Discuss the professionalization and history of linguistics
- Explain what linguistic anthropology is
- Assess the standardization of languages
- Describe the role of the French Academy in language development
- Provide examples of how colonialism spread languages
1. History of the English Language: Influences & Development
Ever wonder how English came to be the language it is today? This video lesson gives a brief account of how English has transformed during the last few thousand years of history.
2. The Printing Press' Impact on the English Language
The printing press had a huge impact on many things, and language was not an exception. In this lesson, we'll see how printing affected the English language and the way it looks today.
3. The History & Professionalization of Linguistics
Understanding linguistics as a field means knowing a lot about its history and how it came to be regarded as a profession and an academic field. This lesson offers an overview of the history and professionalization of linguistics.
4. Understanding Linguistic Anthropology
This lesson will seek to give an overview of linguistic anthropology. In doing so, it will highlight the specialty areas of historical, descriptive, and sociolinguistics, as well as the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.
5. The Standardization of Languages
Understanding the history and sociopolitical dimensions of linguistics also involves learning about the standardization of languages. This lesson discusses what it means for languages to become standardized around the world.
6. What is the French Academy? - History & Role in Language Development
What makes the French language, the French language? In this case, it's no accident. Let's get to know the French Academy and see what role it plays in the French language.
7. How Colonialism Spread Languages: Summary & Examples
The history of language is one inextricably tied to the history of colonialism. In this lesson, we'll examine this past and see what role empire had in linguistic development, and visa versa.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 302: The History of Human Language course