About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering The Things They Carried character material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about characters such as Azar, Curt Lemon and Linda in this book. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the significant quotes found in this book
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the The Things They Carried Character Analysis & Quotes chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Things They Carried Character Analysis & Quotes chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any Language Arts question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about The Things They Carried for a standard Language Arts course. Topics covered include:
- Characters such as Tim O'Brien, Rat Kiley, Kiowa, Henry Dobbins and Mary Anne Bell in this novel
- Significant quotes in this book, including quotes about courage
- Quotes spoken by Kiowa
- Vocabulary found in this book
1. Tim O'Brien in The Things They Carried
In The Things They Carried, Tim O'Brien shares stories from his time as a soldier in the Vietnam War. He populates the novel with real names, as a means of sharing the emotional truth of his experience even when he can't stick to the bald facts. Tim O'Brien is an active, caring, engaging young man who has to grow up fast and face atrocities. He sees his friends die and suffer, and he remembers.
2. Rat Kiley in The Things They Carried
This lesson is a character description of Rat Kiley in Tim O'Brien's ''The Things They Carried''. Rat Kiley is the medic in O'Brien's platoon and is also well-known for his storytelling. The lesson includes a character summary, quotes, and analysis.
3. Kiowa in The Things They Carried
In ''The Things They Carried'' by Tim O'Brien, Kiowa, a Native American, is a member of Alpha Company who's complicated, and while we don't know a lot about him, what we do know gives us a tremendous amount of insight.
4. Jimmy Cross in The Things They Carried
Lieutenant Jimmy Cross is the young, inexperienced leader of Alpha Company in Tim O'Brien's 'The Things They Carried.' Cross's youth, inexperience, and poor judgment sometimes have disastrous results for the men, though Jimmy Cross accepts responsibility for his ineptitude.
5. Mitchell Sanders in The Things They Carried
Mitchell Sanders functions as an honorable and likable character throughout Tim O'Brien's ''The Things They Carried''. Get a character description of Mitchell Sanders, along with specific analysis, and quotations.
6. Azar in The Things They Carried
This lesson is a character description of Azar from Tim O'Brien's ''The Things They Carried''. Azar is known for his insensitive and inappropriate jokes, and he's not well-liked by the others in Alpha Company.
7. Norman Bowker in The Things They Carried
This lesson will examine the character of Norman Bowker in Tim O'Brien's 'The Things They Carried.' Norman is a tragic figure who illustrates the difficulties of returning home after serving in Vietnam.
8. Henry Dobbins in The Things They Carried
Tim O'Brien's ~'The Things They Carried~' is a collection of short stories written about the Vietnam War. In this lesson, we will learn about Henry Dobbins, the platoon's bighearted machine gunner.
9. Ted Lavender in The Things They Carried
This lesson is a character description of Ted Lavender in Tim O'Brien's ''The Things They Carried.'' Ted Lavender is the first member of Alpha Company to die in the book. Before he dies, Lavender pops tranquilizers to calm his fear of dying.
10. Curt Lemon in The Things They Carried
This lesson examines the character of Curt Lemon in Tim O'Brien's 'The Things They Carried.' While Lemon is a minor character, his death serves as an important example of O'Brien's theme of story-truth vs. happening-truth.
11. Mary Anne Bell in The Things They Carried
This lesson examines the character of Mary Ann Bell from Tim O'Brien's 'The Things They Carried.' Mary Ann functions less as a character than a symbol in the story chapter 'The Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong.' We'll explore this symbolism.
12. Linda in The Things They Carried
This lesson will examine the character of Linda in Tim O'Brien's ''The Things We Carried''. Linda appears in the final story, ~'The Lives of the Dead~', and exemplifies the function of memory and storytelling in O'Brien's novel.
13. Important Quotes in The Things They Carried
This lesson identifies four important quotations in Tim O'Brien's 1990 novel, 'The Things They Carried'. The lesson explains how these quotations underscore various postmodern themes, such as the unreliability of memory and the ethical burden of narrative.
14. Kiowa Quotes in The Things They Carried
In ''The Things They Carried'', author Tim O'Brien depicts Kiowa as a devout Baptist who maintains strong ties to his traditions. The character description and quotes in this lesson show Kiowa carries the ability to comfort others and to care.
15. Courage Quotes in The Things They Carried
This lesson identifies and analyzes important quotations about courage in Tim O'Brien's 1990 novel, 'The Things They Carried.' O'Brien challenges the notion that courage motivates soldiers to fight for valor.
16. The Things They Carried Vocabulary
In Tim O'Brien's novel, The Things They Carried, we are introduced to the men of Alpha Company; we learn of the soldiers' exploits in Vietnam and much is revealed to us about the inner lives of these men. In order to get a full picture of the text, we need to take a close look at the vocabulary.
The Things They Carried Character List & Flashcards
This set of flashcards focuses on Tim O'Brien's Vietnam War novel 'The Things They Carried'. It will teach you about the book's characters and major themes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.