About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the synopsis and context of The Things They Carried will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to review the context behind this novel's author, historical setting and criticism. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in studying the context surrounding The Things They Carried
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the The Things They Carried Synopsis & Context chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the The Things They Carried Synopsis & Context chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about The Things They Carried Synopsis & Context for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Characters, themes and plot of The Things They Carried
- Author Tim O'Brien's biography
- Short story elements
- The book's historical setting, genre and banned status
- Context of the Vietnam War and its aftereffects on the United States
- Literary criticism for The Things They Carried
- The book's loss of innocence theme
1. The Things They Carried: Summary, Characters & Themes
The Vietnam War was a long, controversial military conflict. In this lesson, you'll get a summary of Tim O'Brien's Vietnam War novel, including a breakdown of the main characters and major ideas.
2. Tim O'Brien: Biography & Quotes
This lesson provides a biography of the life of American novelist, Tim O'Brien, best known for his award-winning novel, The Things They Carried (1990). The lesson also introduces and analyzes several key quotations that characterize the author's literary aesthetic.
3. Elements of a Short Story
When you read a short story, have you ever stopped to think about its main elements? This lesson discusses the five main elements of a short story, including characters, setting, plot, conflict, and theme.
4. The Things They Carried: Setting & Genre
Author Tim O'Brien knows the horrors of Vietnam firsthand and uses his experience in 'The Things They Carried.' Let's take a look at how O'Brien uses Vietnam and small-town America to highlight the effects of this terrible war.
5. Historical Context for The Things They Carried
1968 to 1970 were traumatic time, both in the United States and in Vietnam. Draft dodging, war protests, and massacres both at home and abroad inflamed tensions between soldiers and the people at home.
6. The Vietnam War: Causes, Conflicts & Effects
The Vietnam War was the longest and most polarizing conflict in the history of the United States. Learn about the causes of the war as well as its effects on the United States.
7. Post-War Issues: Aftereffects of the Vietnam War on the U.S.
The defeat of the United States in the Vietnam War gripped the nation in the decades that followed. Learn more about the post-war years, including policy, veteran affairs and the American psyche, in this lesson.
8. Literary Criticism of The Things They Carried
This lesson outlines the critical reception of Tim O'Brien's 1990 novel, ''The Things They Carried''. The novel is about the author's experiences in combat in Vietnam.
9. Why Is The Things They Carried Banned?
Learn more about why some people felt the need to challenge and even ban Tim O'Brien's novel, 'The Things They Carried,' which focused on the author's own experiences in the Vietnam War.
10. Loss of Innocence in The Things They Carried
'The Things They Carried' by Tim O'Brien is a fictionalized account of his experiences fighting in Vietnam. The loss of innocence is one important theme in the novel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Things They Carried Study Guide course