About This Chapter
The Toltec Empire - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors outline fundamental information about the Toltec Empire. As you work through these simple and entertaining lessons, you'll become familiar with the Toltec's culture, government, religion, inventions, art and much more. Complete the lesson quizzes and chapter exam to retain your knowledge, and revisit the lessons whenever you need to go over a particular term or concept. The online format of this chapter allows you to study at home, at school or when you're on the go. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the culture, people and social structure of the Toltec civilization
- Assess the Toltec's political structure and government
- Interpret the Toltec's religious symbols, temples and gods
- Evaluate the contributions and inventions of the Toltec people
- Identify artists, sculptures and architectural structures from the Toltec civilization
- Summarize the life and work of Carlos Castaneda
- Recognize quotes from Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan
1. Toltec Civilization: People, Culture & Social Structure
The Toltec Civilization, as ancestors to the mighty Aztecs, provided them with a rich heritage that allowed them to rule Mesoamerica before the coming of the Spanish. If you would like to learn more about the Toltecs, this lesson is for you.
2. The Toltec Empire: Government & Political Structure
The Toltec Empire was a militaristic civilization whose political structure reflected its war-like ways. In this lesson, we will examine Toltec government, as well as the Toltecs' rise and enigmatic downfall.
3. Toltec Religion: Gods, Temples & Symbols
In this lesson, you will receive a basic overview of the major gods and goddesses in Toltec religion. You will also examine some symbols associated with these gods and goddesses. Some famous temples associated with these deities will also be mentioned.
4. Toltec Civilization: Contributions & Inventions
Before the Aztecs, there were the Toltecs. In this lesson, we'll explore this mysterious ancient civilization, and see what cultural and economic impacts they had on Mesoamerica.
5. Art of the Toltec Empire: Artists, Sculpture & Architecture
What kind of art and architecture did people create in early Mexico? The works of some cultures reflected war, gods and sacrifice. In this lesson, learn about the art and architecture of the Toltec Empire.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the History, Culture & People of the Americas course
- The Pre-Columbian Era
- The Aztec Empire
- The Mayan Empire
- The Moche Civilization
- European Arrival & Colonization of the Americas
- Indigenous Peoples of South America
- Indigenous Peoples of the Carribean
- Indigenous Peoples, Culture & History of Mexico
- Independence Movements & Organizations of Indigenous Peoples
- The Iroquois Confederacy