About This Chapter
The Universe, Solar System & the Earth-Sun Relationship - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our experienced instructors guide you through key topics related to the universe, the Earth-Sun relationship and the solar system. Watch video lessons on the Big Bang theory, galaxy formation and the types of stars. Once you finish this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Define a nebula and the theory associated with it
- Discuss the formation of spiral, elliptical and irregular galaxies
- Outline the types of stars by size, color and life cycle
- Provide an overview of the solar system
- Detail the effects of solar energy on Earth's temperature
- Describe how the sun provides energy within the ecosystem
- Identify the sun as a source of energy for the water cycle, currents and winds
- Explain interactions in the Sun-Earth-Moon system
Our learning materials are available any time you'd like to study, on any tablet, mobile phone or computer. As a handy test prep tool, take the lesson quizzes and chapter test to assess your knowledge. If you get any questions wrong, you'll get a link back to the point in the lesson that discusses that concept for easy review.
1. Big Bang Theory of the Universe: Definition & Overview
In this lesson, you'll learn about the most current theory on how the universe began, the Big Bang Theory. You'll learn about the theories about the origin of the universe that came before the theory as well as the events, discoveries, and scientists involved in the formulation of it.
2. Nebula: Definition & Theory
A nebula is a large cloud of gas and dust particles. Nebulae are known as nurseries for stars, while at the same time most are created by the death of stars. This lesson will define and explain nebulae.
3. Galaxy Formation: Spiral, Elliptical & Irregular Galaxies
This lesson explains how galaxies form, starting with the Big Bang. You'll also learn about the solar nebula hypothesis and three galaxy types, including spiral, elliptical, and irregular galaxies.
4. Types of Stars by Size, Color and Life Cycle
Learn to identify the different sizes and colors of stars and how they relate to the star life cycle. In this lesson, we'll talk about spectral classification, how many stars there are of each type and the approximate color of the different classes of stars.
5. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
6. Solar Energy: Effects on Earth's Temperature
In this video lesson, learn about solar energy and how it affects temperatures on Earth. You will also learn what causes changes in day length and why some parts of Earth experience seasonal differences throughout the year.
7. How the Sun Provides Energy within the Ecosystem
In this lesson, we'll be looking at how the Sun provides energy for all life on Earth. Here you can learn about what powers the Sun and how that energy gets from outer space to Earth to help us feed the whole planet!
8. The Sun as a Source of Energy for Winds, Currents & the Water Cycle
View this lesson to learn how energy from the sun powers our winds, ocean currents and the water cycle. Learn how the winds, ocean currents and the water cycle react to the energy from the sun.
9. Interactions in the Sun-Earth-Moon System
Learn how the sun, earth, and moon interact with each other to create tides, phases, eclipses, seasons, solar winds, and precession. Take a quiz and see how much you've picked up.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExMaT Master Science Teacher EC-4 (090): Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Understanding Matter, Elements, Compounds & Mixtures
- Force & Newton's Laws of Motion
- Energy, Electricity, Sound & Light
- Fundamental Characteristics of Living Things
- Reproduction, Genetics & Evolution
- Ecosystems, Competition & Adaptations
- Earth's Natural Materials & Processes
- Hydrosphere & Atmosphere
- The History & Societal Contexts of Science
- Nature of Science & Unifying Themes
- Methods of Scientific Inquiry
- Managing Scientific Data
- Science Education Safety
- Alignment of Texas Science Instruction for Young Learners
- Teaching Strategies for Science
- The Science Learning & Teaching Environment
- Understanding & Implementing Student Assessment
- Leadership, Communication & Collaboration in Science Education
- Mentoring & Professional Development for Texas Science Teachers
- Strategies & Resources for Teaching Science to Young Learners
- TExMaT Master Science Teacher EC-4 Flashcards