About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other life science work.
- Identify the urinary or endocrine systems concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Middle School Life Science Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the human urinary and endocrine systems and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding liver and kidney functions, hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, hormones, pituitary disorders or any other urinary or endocrine systems topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning about science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their urinary and endocrine systems unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in middle school life science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about the urinary and endocrine systems simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about the urinary and endocrine systems on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Study the urinary system, including the bladder, kidneys and urethra
- Understand the structure and purpose of the liver and kidneys
- Learn about the hormones and describe their functions
- Study the glands of the endocrine system
- Identify disorders of the pituitary and thyroid glands as well as the pancreas
- Explore the structure and function of the pancreas and adrenal glands
1. Gross Anatomy of the Urinary System
Our body must detoxify and cleanse itself to thrive. That is why we depend so heavily on our liver and urinary system. In this lesson, we'll explore how toxins are filtered by our organs and how urine is formed and expelled with the nephron, bladder, ureters, and urethra.
2. Hormones: Definition, Function & Intro to the Endocrine System
This lesson introduces the endocrine system and provides a brief overview of each endocrine gland. It also provides the definition of hormones and describes their general function inside the body.
3. Pituitary Dysfunction: Disorders and Symptoms
The pituitary gland secretes hormones that affect growth, reproductive ability, and water retention. If there is a hypo- or hyper-secretion of these hormones, the result can be a number of conditions, including pituitary dwarfism, gigantism, acromegaly, sterility, or diabetes insipidus.
4. Thyroid Disorders: Hyperthyroidism, Hypothyroidism & Thyroidectomy
The thyroid gland produces hormones that help set your metabolic rate. This lesson will discuss conditions of the thyroid gland, including hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, and their related symptoms.
5. Disorders of the Pancreas: Types, Symptoms & Treatments
The pancreas produces insulin. If the pancreas is incapable of producing insulin or cells do not respond to this hormone, then a person can develop diabetes mellitus. In this lesson, you will learn about diabetes and how it relates to the pancreas.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Life Science: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Life Science: Tutoring Solution
- Characteristics & Chemicals of Life: Tutoring Solution
- The Parts of Cells: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Replication & Mutation: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Division & the Cell Cycle: Tutoring Solution
- How Living Organisms Get Energy: Tutoring Solution
- Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- The Origin & History of Life On Earth: Tutoring Solution
- Genetics & Hereditary Traits: Tutoring Solution
- Genetic Engineering Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Natural Selection & Evolution in Life Science: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology & Types of Microbes: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Types of Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Changing Ecosystems: Tutoring Solution
- Invertebrates: Tutoring Solution
- Animal Behavior & Communication: Tutoring Solution
- Mammal Reproduction & Development: Tutoring Solution
- The Cardiovascular System: Tutoring Solution
- The Blood Vessels: Tutoring Solution
- The Digestive System: Tutoring Solution
- The Muscular System: Tutoring Solution
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue: Tutoring Solution
- Sight, Hearing & Other Senses: Tutoring Solution
- Health Issues & Concerns: Tutoring Solution
- Plant Biology & Structure: Tutoring Solution
- How Plants Grow & Reproduce: Tutoring Solution
- Environmental Concerns: Tutoring Solution
- Natural Resources: Tutoring Solution