About This Chapter
Medical Terms for the Urinary System - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Diets for detoxing the body have become a trend in recent years, but the only detoxification you need is carried out naturally by the urinary system. In this chapter, you will explore the parts of the urinary system and how they work together to remove toxins in the body. By viewing the lessons, you'll learn about:
- What parts and structures make up the urinary system
- What the major divisions of the kidneys are
- How the nephron's glomerulus filters blood
- What medical conditions affect the urinary system
- How urinary system problems are diagnosed and treated
|Kidneys: Structure, Function & Medical Vocabulary||Review basic terms related to the kidneys and the formation of urine.|
|Ureters, Bladder & Urethra: Structures, Function & Medical Terms||Study the functions of the ureters, urethra and bladder.|
|Gross Anatomy of the Urinary System||Learn about the key organs and structures involved in detoxifying the body.|
|The Kidney: Major Divisions & Structures||Examine the layers and internal components of the kidneys.|
|The Nephron: The Glomerulus's Major Structures and Functions||Find out how the glomerulus works to filter the blood.|
|What is Renal Failure? - Definition & Related Vocabulary||See what causes renal failure and the impact of end-stage renal disease.|
|What Are Nephrotic and Nephritic Syndrome? - Signs & Consequences||Learn about the effects of nephrotic and nephritic syndromes on the body.|
|What Are Nephrotic Syndrome and Nephropathy?||Get to know about the causes of nephrotic syndrome and nephropathy.|
|Pathologies of the Kidneys||Discover some of the conditions that can affect kidney function, such as renal colic and nephritis.|
|Kidney Stone & Ureter Problem Terminology||Find out about kideney stones and other conditions affecting the urinary tract.|
|Bladder & Urethra Problem Terminology||Review bladder conditions, such as UTIs and cystitis.|
|Issues Related to the Prostate and Urination||Discover urinary and prostate conditions that affect men, including cancer.|
|Medical Specialists of the Urinary System||Learn about the medical conditions urologists and nephrologists treat.|
|Diagnosis of Medical Problems of the Urinary System||Get details on imaging procedures and other methods used to diagnose urinary problems.|
|Kidney & Stone Treatment Terminology||Discover some of the non-surgical and surgical methods for treating kidney issues and stones.|
|Bladder & Urethra Treatment Vocabulary||Find out options for treating conditions in the bladder and urethra.|
1. Kidneys: Structure, Function & Medical Vocabulary
We will cover some basic terms associated with the formation of urine. Then we will delve into the structures that make up the kidneys and how each structure functions.
2. Ureters, Bladder & Urethra: Structures, Function & Medical Terms
This lesson is going to cover the ureters, bladder, and urethra of the urinary tract. We spend some time discussing the functions of these structures. We will also go over some basic terms associated with the urinary system.
3. Gross Anatomy of the Urinary System
Our body must detoxify and cleanse itself to thrive. That is why we depend so heavily on our liver and urinary system. In this lesson, we'll explore how toxins are filtered by our organs and how urine is formed and expelled with the nephron, bladder, ureters, and urethra.
4. The Kidney: Major Divisions & Structures
Learn about the major layers of the kidneys, like the renal cortex and renal medulla. Find out about the inner parts of the kidneys, including the renal papilla, renal pelvis, renal pyramid, and renal hilum.
5. The Nephron: The Glomerulus's Major Structures and Functions
Together, the glomerulus and Bowman's capsule make up the renal corpuscle of the nephron. These parts of the nephron filter blood and are vital to our body's survival. In this lesson, you'll explore the major corpuscular structures and their functions.
6. What is Renal Failure? - Definition & Related Vocabulary
There are a lot of terms related to kidney failure. In this lesson, we'll define and sometimes differentiate these terms: renal failure, acute renal failure, acute kidney injury, chronic renal failure, chronic kidney disease, uremia, and azotemia.
7. What Are Nephrotic and Nephritic Syndrome? - Signs & Consequences
This lesson will discuss two syndromes associated with diseases that affect the filters inside of the kidneys, the glomeruli. These conditions are called nephrotic and nephritic syndrome.
8. What Are Nephrotic Syndrome & Nephropathy?
This lesson will succinctly define several terms related to the kidneys: nephropathy, nephrosis and nephritis. It will also look at nephrotic syndrome and key terms like hyperproteinuria, edema, and hypoproteinemia.
9. Pathologies of the Kidneys
We will look at the most common conditions that affect the kidneys and their causes. The diseases that infect the kidneys will also be covered. The lesson will go over the signs and symptoms associated with each pathology.
10. Kidney Stone & Ureter Problem Terminology
This lesson will look at some of the basic problems that can occur with kidney stones. We will also discuss what can go wrong with the ureters of the urinary tract.
11. Bladder & Urethra Problem Terminology
This lesson covers some of the basic conditions that may affect the bladder and urethra. We will look at how these conditions affect males and females differently as well.
12. Issues Related to the Prostate & Urination
Prostate problems can lead to urinary problems. This lesson will define some prostate problems men have, as well as urinary problems they and women may experience.
13. Medical Specialists of the Urinary System
If you've ever experienced an unpleasant sensation or strange color when urinating, then it could be a sign of a problem, and one of two doctors specializing in urinary system disorders may be able to help you.
14. Diagnosis of Medical Problems of the Urinary System
This lesson is going to cover the diagnostic testing that is used to detect problems in the urinary tract. We will look at imaging as well as physical and chemical tests.
15. Kidney & Stone Treatment Terminology
The kidneys are important for filtering the blood and keeping us healthy. This lesson is going to cover the treatments that are used to treat certain conditions of the kidneys and stones that develop in the urinary tract.
16. Bladder & Urethra Treatment Vocabulary
We are going to discuss the treatments that are done on the bladder and urethra in order to correct problems found in these structures. Learn about why these treatments are performed and use the quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology