About This Chapter
The Veterinary Medical Team - Chapter Summary
This chapter is dedicated to exploring the duties of and requirements for veterinary medical team professionals and support staff. Discover what it takes to be a veterinary technician or a veterinary assistant. Once you have watched these animated video lessons, you could be able to:
- List some of the industries in which veterinary medicine plays a role
- Discuss the extensive schooling required of aspiring veterinarians
- Describe society's expectations of veterinarians
- Explain the education and certification requirements for veterinary technicians and veterinary assistants
- Describe the responsibilities of front desk, support and maintenance personnel in veterinary offices
- Discuss office management activities in veterinary medicine
You will examine these topics along with other facts about the veterinary medical team through this chapter's video lessons, which are entertaining and fun to watch. You can ask related questions of your lesson instructors, and study when it's convenient for you. Use the video tags to locate specific information in the video or read the included text transcripts instead. The self-assessment quizzes and the practice examination will ensure that you have understood what you studied in this chapter.
1. What is Veterinary Medicine?
This lesson will define veterinary medicine and describe the various areas where it's needed, such as private practice, the government, academia, and more.
2. A Veterinarian's Education
This lesson will describe a veterinarian's education in the U.S., some of the many roles a veterinarian can perform, and the difference between a general practitioner and a specialist.
3. A Veterinarian's Role in Society
In this lesson, we'll take a good look at the many different roles a veterinarian has in society. These roles go way beyond the better-known role of treating your favorite pet!
4. What Do Veterinary Technicians Do?
This lesson will explain the roles and education of a veterinarian's best friend, the veterinary nurse. You'll learn the difference between a veterinary technician and technologist, along with the various tasks they perform at a veterinary hospital.
5. The Many Roles of a Veterinary Assistant
This lesson will define who a veterinary assistant is and some of the many roles a veterinary assistant may need to perform in a veterinary clinic or hospital.
6. The Importance of the Front Desk in a Medical Office
This lesson will go over one of the most important parts of any hospital, the front desk. What this is, who works here, and what they do and should not do will be discussed.
7. Management in Veterinary Medicine
This lesson will go over some of the management personnel you may encounter at a veterinary hospital, including the office manager, practice manager, medical director, and hospital administrator.
8. Support Staff & Student Roles in a Veterinary Clinic
This lesson will go over some of the lesser-known staff members and individuals you may find at a veterinary hospital near you: groomers, kennel attendants, and more. After this lesson, take a look at our quiz questions to test your new knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Veterinary Assistant Exam: Prep & Study Guide course
- Veterinary Ethics & Jurisprudence
- Veterinary Hospital Layout & Purpose
- Working at a Veterinary Hospital
- Medical Equipment in Veterinary Medicine
- Occupational Health and Safety in Veterinary Medicine
- Decontamination in a Veterinary Hospital
- Zoonotic Diseases
- Veterinary Office Management
- Veterinary Assistant Exam Flashcards