About This Chapter
The Works of Colson Whitehead Chapter Summary
Discover a number of important works by the influential American writer Colson Whitehead. These lessons give a detailed overview of texts including:
- The Nickel Boys
- The Intuitionist
- Zone One
- Sag Harbor
- John Henry Days
- The Colossus of New York
- Apex Hides the Hurt
Not only will you get to grips with these books' plot summaries, you'll also learn how to interpret and analyze them from a variety of perspectives. You can use these lessons to supplement our other literature courses - check out the full list below.
How to Use this Chapter
These lessons have been designed by subject-matter experts who offer unique insight into various elements of Colson Whitehead's major works. Use the lessons to improve the content of an essay you're writing or to dig deeper into a specific text that interests you. They also make great study aids for anyone preparing for a literature exam. Make sure to avail of extra features like the short self-assessment quizzes provided at the end of each lesson.
This chapter also pairs with other literature-related courses offered by Study.com, including:
- English 101: English Literature
- English 102: American Literature
- English 103: Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
- English 301: Non-Western Literature
- English 310: Short Stories
- World Literature & Authors
- Survey of World Literature
Don't miss out on these comprehensive courses if you're hoping to expand your literary knowledge!
1. Summary of The Nickel Boys
This lesson covers Colson Whitehead's novel ''The Nickel Boys'', summarizing Elwood Curtis growing up amidst the Civil Rights movement. He truly believes all that Martin Luther King, Jr. says and he has faith that change is coming.
2. The Nickel Boys: Characters & Analysis
Colson Whitehead's characters in 'The Nickel Boys' are intriguing pictures of all aspects of society during the Civil Rights movement. Read on to learn more about the characters that bring this novel to life.
3. Summary of Zone One by Colson Whitehead
Learn about ''Zone One'', a post-apocalyptic novel written by American author, Colson Whitehead in 2011. Also, learn about the novel's literary categorization.
4. Summary of Sag Harbor by Colson Whitehead
~'Sag Harbor~' is a coming-of-age story that is humorous and touching. This novel, set in 1985 on Long Island, tells the story of a young boy named Benji trying to find himself during a long summer of reflection.
5. Summary of John Henry Days
Learn about ''John Henry Days'', a novel that was written by American author Colson Whitehead in 2001. Also, read about the novel's inspiration from American Folklore.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Survey of African American Literature course
- The Works of Zora Neale Hurston
- The Works of James Baldwin
- The Works of Richard Wright
- The Works of Maya Angelou
- The Works of James Weldon Johnson
- The Works of Claude McKay
- The Works of Gloria Naylor
- The Works of Alice Walker
- The Works of Octavia Butler
- The Works of Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The Works of Ernest J. Gaines
- The Works of Audre Lorde
- The Works of August Wilson
- The Watsons Go to Birmingham Chapter Summaries