About This Chapter
The World Post-WWI - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our experts explain the global effects of World War I. You'll learn about the formation of the Soviet Union, Hitler's rise to power, and Mussolini's impact on the Italian government. Our experienced instructors ease you into studying the influences of World War I as it impacts the social, political and economic state of counties around the world. Once you finish this chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the creation of the U.S.S.R and Stalin's impact on the Soviet Union
- Articulate the strengths, weaknesses, and collapse of the Weimar Republic
- Explore resistance events in Turkey and India between the World Wars
- Describe the Asian interwar conflicts
- Understand the dominance of Mussolini and the rise of fascism in the Italian government
- Discuss Hitler's dominance and rise to power
- Analyze the reasons for the Spanish Civil War
Help from an expert is just a few clicks away in the Dashboard if you struggle to understand any of these concepts. It's easy to navigate our videos using the timeline tags if you'd like to go back and review any of the material again. Take the quiz included with each lesson and the test at the end of the chapter to evaluate your knowledge.
1. The U.S.S.R.: History & Creation
In this lesson, we will learn about the creation of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, commonly referred to as the Soviet Union. We will learn what events brought about the emergence of the Soviet Union, and how it has impacted the course of world history.
2. Gains of Global Democracy After 1919: History & Summary
In this lesson we briefly discuss the end of WWI and explore the proliferation of new states that occurred with the collapse of several central and eastern European empires.
3. The Weimar Republic: Strengths, Weaknesses & Collapse
In this lesson, we explore the Weimar Republic, the democratic government which governed Germany in between World War I and the rise of the Nazi party and Adolf Hitler.
4. Resistance in Turkey and India Between World Wars
In this lesson, we explore the resistance movements to western colonialism in both Turkey and India. Though both experienced colonialism via extremely different circumstances, both exhibited nationalist movements that opposed foreign rule.
5. Interwar Conflict in Asia Between World Wars: History & Response
In this lesson, we discuss Japan and China and the disparate fortunes of the two nations during the interwar period, including Japanese military aggression toward China.
6. The Rise of Benito Mussolini and Italian Fascism: Facts & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the rise of fascism in interwar Italy, as led by Il Duce, Benito Mussolini. Mussolini's oppressive, totalitarian regime fell during WWII.
7. The Soviet Union Under Stalin: Five-Year Plans, Purges & Policies
In this lesson, we explore the brutal rule of Joseph Stalin in the Soviet Union, from 1928 to 1953. Stalin radically transformed the economy of the Soviet Union, while also terrorizing its people.
8. Hitler's Third Reich: Rise to Power, History & Collapse
In this lesson, we explore the rise of Hitler's Third Reich, its domination of German society in the 1930s, and the world war it began which eventually led to its downfall.
9. The Spanish Civil War & the Influence of Foreign Powers: Definition, Summary & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the Spanish Civil War that broke out between nationalists and socialists in Spain in the 1930s. In the aftermath, General Francisco Franco instituted a fascist dictatorship.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Social Science: Study Guide & Prep course
- About the CSET Social Science Test
- Prehistory & Early Civilizations
- Ancient Near East History
- Early Empires in the Near East & Asia
- Political & Philosophical Thought in Ancient Asia
- History of Ancient Greece & Hellenism
- The Roman Republic Rises
- History of the Fall of Rome
- Understanding the Dark Ages
- Understanding the Early Middle Ages
- Medieval Warm Period Overview
- High Middle Ages Overview
- Late Middle Ages Overview
- The Renaissance Overview
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- Overview of the Reformation Across Europe
- The Elizabethan Era Overview
- Overview of Colonialism
- Absolutism & Constitutionalism in Europe
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- The Age of Enlightenment
- The French Revolution & Napoleon Bonaparte
- Industrialization from 1700-1900
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- Overview of World War II
- Western Civilization Post-WWII
- Early Civilizations in the Americas & Colonization
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- Understanding the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- America's Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- Overview of American Imperialism & World War I
- 1920s America
- Overview of the Great Depression
- World Events & Politics After World War II (1946-1959)
- Events & Presidents During the Cold War (1950-1973)
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- Presidential Domestic Policy 1970-Present
- Overview of California History
- Principles & Concepts of American Democracy
- Fundamental Values & Principles of Civil Society
- Branches of Government in the U.S.
- U.S. Supreme Court Landmark Cases
- The U.S. Election Process
- Levels of Government in the United States
- Media Influence in the U.S.
- Comparing Political Systems
- Tension in U.S. Democracy
- Basic Terms & Concepts in Economics
- American Market Economy
- The Relationship between Politics & Economics
- U.S. Labor Markets in a Global Setting
- Aggregate Economic Behavior of the American Economy
- International Trade & the Economy
- Tools & Perspectives of Geographic Study
- Geographic Diversity of Natural Landscapes & Human Societies
- Culture & the Physical Environment
- Environmental Science Basics
- Effects of Humans on the Environment
- CSET Social Science Flashcards