About This Chapter
The Writing Process & Language - Chapter Summary
Ensure you fully comprehend the writing process and language by exploring lessons in this chapter. Refresh your knowledge of oral and written language styles, grammar and spelling, print and nonprint texts and the importance of improving your sentence structure. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Define and identify steps in the writing process
- Differentiate between oral and written language styles
- Share the steps needed to improve writing with the use of better sentence structure
- Explain how grammar and language patterns support communication and art
- Provide details about the grammatical structure of the English language
- Identify strategies and tips for using correct spelling in written work
- Show your understanding of punctuation and how to write well
- Discuss ways to critique print and nonprint texts
Lessons are available as videos or texts and presented by instructors skilled at creating fun presentations. Review these lessons in any sequence you desire from your smartphone, computer or tablet to learn more about the writing process and language. At any time, feel free to assess your understanding of lesson concepts by taking self-assessment quizzes and a comprehensive chapter exam.
1. The Writing Process: Definition & Steps
Writing is one of the most common ways we communicate. To be a successful writer, you should practice the five steps of the writing process: prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publication.
2. Major Differences Between Oral and Written Language Styles
Several differences contrast oral and written communication. Some differences seem obvious, but there's more to it. Retention, preciseness and engagement are just a few main differences.
3. How to Write Better by Improving Your Sentence Structure
Often times in writing, we know what we want to say, but it doesn't seem to come out right. In this video we will learn the steps needed to improve your writing with better sentence structure.
4. What Is Grammar? - Exercises & Overview
In this lesson, we'll look at the grammatical structure of the English language. What are the basic parts of speech that make up the building blocks of sentences? Keep reading, and you'll see!
5. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
6. What is Punctuation? - Rules & Signs
In this lesson, we'll find out what punctuation is. We'll then learn some rules for using the most common punctuation marks as well as review sample sentences utilizing the punctuation rules.
7. How to Write Well: What Makes Writing Good?
From great ideas to great execution, learn what makes writing 'good' and how to transform your writing from 'okay' to accomplished through the use of specific examples, great ideas, and organization.
8. How to Improve Writing Skills
Does expressing yourself through the written word provide you with freedom of expression or frustration? If writing is a challenge for you, or you would just like to improve your skills, read this lesson for several concrete recommendations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Oral Language Development
- Literacy Development & Print Awareness
- Early Literacy Word Recognition and Spelling
- Late Stages Literacy Word Recognition & Spelling
- Fluency & Reading Development
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Skills
- Reading Comprehension Instruction
- Understanding & Analyzing Literary & Narrative Texts
- Analyzing Informational & Expository Texts
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Elements of Literary Research
- Oral & Visual Communication
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Government, Civics & Economics
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- History Study Skills
- Oklahoma & U.S. Political History
- Global Political History
- Historical Analysis & Interpretation
- Number Sense, Numeration & Operations
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Geometry & Properties of Shapes
- Measurement in Math
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Time, Proportions, Ratios, Rates, Velocity & Density
- Statistics & Charts
- Probability & Events
- Math & Problem Solving
- Mathematical Representation & Communication
- The Nature & History of Science
- Scientific Process & Inquiry
- Physical Science Fundamentals
- Earth, Space Science & Weather
- Types of Living Organisms
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Health & Fitness in Children
- Visual Arts Concepts
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051) Flashcards