About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other comprehensive English work.
- Identify the essay revision and improvement concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn how to revise and improve an essay and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to structure paragraphs and sentences, write great essays quickly, proofread essays or any other essay revision and improvement topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their revision and improving your essay unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning how to improve and revise your essay simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn revision and improving your essay on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Explain what makes writing good.
- Learn how to structure essay paragraphs.
- Understand how to structure essay sentences.
- Be able to write with idioms and phrasal verbs.
- Discuss ways to write a great essay quickly.
- Describe methods for practicing essay writing.
- Revise mistakes in your writing.
- Proofread essays for spelling and grammar.
1. How to Write Well: What Makes Writing Good?
From great ideas to great execution, learn what makes writing 'good' and how to transform your writing from 'okay' to accomplished through the use of specific examples, great ideas, and organization.
2. How to Structure Paragraphs in an Essay
When structuring a paragraph, you shouldn't just go throwing together a few sentences. The sentences that make up a paragraph should all flow together and represent the same topic to make up a strong paragraph. This video explains how to put together your sentences and paragraphs to maximize their impact.
3. How to Write with Idioms or Phrasal Verbs
In this lesson, you will learn how to identify idioms and phrasal verbs. Once you can recognize these parts of speech, you will be able to use them yourself in your writing.
4. How to Write a Great Essay Quickly
Many tests will require you to write a timed essay. You may feel panicked at the idea of having to produce a high-quality essay under a tight time constraint. But you can relax: this video shows you four basic steps to follow so that you can write a great essay quickly.
5. Practicing Essay Writing to Get Better at Writing
It can be tough to practice your essay-writing skills on your own without a teacher's feedback. With some time and practice (and by using this game plan), you'll be on your way to practicing, evaluating and improving your writing.
6. Writing Revision: How to Fix Mistakes in Your Writing
Writing is an important skill, but revising your writing is also. In this lesson, learn the basics of self-editing, including editing for content and for mechanics, such as grammar and misspellings.
7. How to Proofread an Essay for Spelling and Grammar
Proofreading is the last step in revising an essay - don't skip it! A single typo can sometimes ruin the hard work of an entire paper. This lesson will help you find the right proofreading strategy for you.
8. Self-Editing: Definition & Concept
Self-editing is an arduous task that most writers do not particularly enjoy. It's tedious and often times grueling. But it's also necessary. Learn how to make the process easier and ultimately improve the overall quality of your writing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Comprehensive English: Tutoring Solution course
- Sentence Structure: Elements of Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Sentence Structure - Understanding Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Usage in English: Tutoring Solution
- Organization: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Mechanics: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics: Types of Essay: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics: Writing an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Development & Planning: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Writing & Structuring an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- Reading & Understanding Essays: Tutoring Solution
- Interpreting Theme & Meaning: Tutoring Solution
- Figurative Language: Tutoring Solution
- Examples of Literary Analysis: Tutoring Solution