About This Chapter
The Writing Process & Types of Writings - Chapter Summary
If you need to review the writing process, take a look at these bite-sized language arts lessons. The lessons cover the writing process in an easy-to-understand way, and you'll find simple explanations of different types of writing, including business letters, short stories, informative essays and autobiographies. The chapter comes with self-assessment quizzes to help you remember important writing concepts. You can use any computer or mobile device to access the lessons, and when you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain each step of the writing process
- Understand common paragraph rules
- Use a formal writing style
- Identify the parts of business letters and friendly letters
- Write short stories, play scripts and dialogue
- Recognize examples of informative essays and autobiographies
1. The Writing Process: Definition & Steps
Writing is one of the most common ways we communicate. To be a successful writer, you should practice the five steps of the writing process: prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, and publication.
2. Paragraphs: Definition & Rules
Almost all forms of writing are structured into paragraphs. Watch this video lesson to learn not only the definition and purpose of a paragraph but its proper structure and how to make a paragraph effective.
3. How to Establish and Maintain a Formal Writing Style
Writing a research paper requires a different kind of language than other kinds of writing. We call this writing in a formal style. Fortunately, the rules for writing in a formal style are quite easy. This lesson shows you how to do it.
4. Components of a Business Letter
After viewing this lesson, you should be able to write a formal business letter that you can use to write official letters to businesses. This is also the type of letter you will write when you are sending out your resume to businesses.
5. How to Write a Friendly Letter: Format, Parts & Example
A friendly letter is a common activity in many elementary school classrooms. This lesson will teach you about the different parts of a friendly letter so you are better able to instruct your students in writing one.
6. Autobiography: Definition & Examples
This lesson examines the genre of nonfiction. Specifically, you will learn how an autobiography is nonfiction, with examples illustrating the concepts.
7. Informative Essay: Definition, Examples & Structure
There are many ways to inform your reader on a topic, from comparing and contrasting to providing a simple definition. Watch this lesson to learn about informative essays and how they educate readers through different formats.
8. How to Write a Short Story
Short stories follow a pattern that help guide the reader and keep the reader interested. In this lesson, you will learn more about this pattern and the elements you need to effectively write a short story.
9. How to Use Dialogue in Writing
When used correctly, good dialogue can add great illustration to a piece of writing. This lesson will cover what dialogue is, when to use it, and how to punctuate it.
10. How to Write a Script for a Play
Writing a script for a play requires inspiration and a clear understanding of how to tell a story that won't put the audience to sleep, make them walk out, or shake their heads in confusion.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 6th Grade Language Arts course
- English Spelling Rules & Conventions
- 6th Grade Vocabulary Skills & Word Usage
- Parts of Speech Usage
- Pronoun Usage & Agreement Basics
- Interjections, Conjunctions & Prepositions
- Punctuation & Sentence Structure
- Speaking, Listening & Study Skills
- 6th Grade Reading Strategies Basics
- 6th Grade Reading Comprehension
- Characteristics of Literature
- Characteristics of Literary Elements
- Characteristics of Literary Devices
- 6th Grade Reading Practice: Matilda
- 6th Grade Reading Practice: James & the Giant Peach